Re: Cancel flights, that is a joke, stupid US

Keep preaching the truth. Hopefully American youth will realize the way it was during WWII. The only way they won was being what was and still is the only country in history to use the atomic bomb. And they worry about other countries having the bomb. The world, I think, worries about the US having them. No other nation has been as war mongering as the Americans since WWII. Want to argue that, go ahead. Let us see, North Korea, Viet Nam, Panama, Granada (I think that was the island they invaded), Libyia, Lebandon, I won't count Kuwait since the UN was behind them, Afaganistan (sp)and now Iraq. Name me one other nation on earth that has committed troops that many times since 1945 and I have probably forgotten a couple of places. Americans are WAR MONGERS

Reply to
Okiechoochoo

Fummy, just when did Iraq attack the US? I thought Al Queda did that

Reply to
Okiechoochoo

I think all of you could use a lighten up a bit.....but my opinion, as a genetic mongrel with more mixed blood than you probably can imagine..... the single group that I would doubt has ever run from any fight would be the Scots. They were saying free or dead long before anyone else......and none have ever conquered them. John H.

Reply to
NERD

There's a large contingent hovering around Djeremi.

Reply to
Steve Caple

I talked with a guy some years back. He mentioned that he was taking his wife out to a local restaurant that had been an inn/tavern/restaurant almost continuously for the last 500 years (not in the same family, obviously). Things in Europe can be REALLY old by American/Canadian standards.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

HEY!!! ;-)

We were talking about winning/losing wars - when they stop making them and start to get along with everyone I'll stop pointing out their actions.

You to!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Yes that is a nice place. Some parts are a little rough as you get south of town but overall thumbs up.

Reply to
MrRathburne

salvé "David F." skrev i meddelandet news:3ff0afaa snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...

Dig deep enough and you can find the ashes of the Roman town that Queen Boadicea destroyed, thats living history.... beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

Salvé "JCunington" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m21.aol.com...

Dear Jay, You would enjoy The Kings Head in Ivinghoe built in 1400something, and the food is fantastic :) Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

Comrade Commissar Rathburne can always be counted on to defend the party line. Without having to be asked or ordered he always rushes forward to protect the ruling elite. Hail Comrade Rathburne, a true Stalinist through and through.

Eric

Commissar Rathburne wrote:

You are an idiot.

Reply to
Eric

And in Aberdeen, Scotland there is a transport and storage company, the Shore Porters Society which is still going strong after 505 years. See

There can't be many enterprises _anywhere_ older than them!

A company I used to work for Carron Company, Falkirk, Scotland was founded in

1758 so was older than the United States.

I live just a couple of miles north of the most northerly official frontier of the Roman Empire, Antonine's Wall, which was built around 142 AD and is still visible locally in places. So all this ancient history stuff comes naturally to us in the "Old World".

Alex. W.Stirrat

Reply to
AlStirrat

"AlStirrat"

Here in Victoria, BC, building less than 100 years old are considered "Heritage" Go figure. :-)

-- Happy Holidays Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Same here (Chicago). On UK version of Antiques Roadshow a fellow mentioned his home had been in family since 12th century.

Strange as it seems there are buildings (or ruins) in the Americas that have some age on them, perhaps even to BCE. Not built by Europeans though.

Reply to
Charles Seyferlich

Very true, and mainly, I believe, in South America. Though Viking settlements have been discovered in eastern Canada proving that Columbus wasn't the first European to see mainland North America.

Well, we know that, he never really discovered mainland North America at all. Probably just some of the Caribbean island.

So, Columbus Day in the States celebrates nothing really. :-)

-- Happy Holidays Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

It is well known that Columbus never set foot on North America. Present day Bahamas, Dominican Republic/Haiti, some other Caribbean Islands, and by most accounts, South America.

Columbus day is clearly a give to the once powerful Italian lobby in the USA. However to say Columbus is 'nothing' is to completely ignore the impact he, the first European to PERMANTANTLY produce Europeans in the 'new world', had a major impact well beyond anyone who came before him from Europe. Of course not all of it was good, but it is what it is.

Reply to
MrRathburne

"MrRathburne" However to say Columbus is 'nothing' is to completely ignore the

Actually, the first PERMANENT European settlements were in Eastern Canada and made by the Vikings. However, it seems that they did not survive very many years before being overwhelmed by the locals. However, they were permanent settlements, not just summer fishing camps.

-- Happy Holidays Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

I wonder what kind of railroads might have come into being if the Viking settlement at L'Anse aux Meadows had thrived and Viking presence in the Americas (or would that have become the Ericas'?) had grown. Perhaps Vikings would have become a empire 4 centuries before Spanish, English and others.

Any Sci-Fi alternate Earth authors out there?

Reply to
Charles Seyferlich

Actually, permanent does not mean 'wiped out in a few years'. It means PERMANANT, as in today. There is no comparison to say they are the same. NOBODY even HEARD of them over in Europe after they left for hundreds of years.

Reply to
MrRathburne

I thought Mussolini was hanged by Italian partisans in 1943. Did it take place later?

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

Salvé "MrRathburne" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Whilst I understand your objection, a permanent settlement means a "year around "settlement, not an eternal settlement as there is no such place anywhere on the planet I know of couple of places in Sweden and Britain that have had settlements for in excess of 2000 years and in one place for over 25000, but these are the exception and not the rule. The scandinavian prescence in the americas lasted for over 500 years until they died out (literally) in the mid/late 1400´s, which is rather longer than the history of the USA...... so they had a permanent prescence in the americas, after all how old is YOUR town?

Beowulf (who lives in a village that has existed in one form and another for over 2000 years......)

Reply to
Beowulf