Re: DCC Controller Features

You are quite right about the radio traffic problem. It takes a while to get all the operators on a model railway who are not already professional railroaders, to get to the point where they know the operating rules and are proficient enough to run and otherwise operate with minimal radio chatter. A dispatcher controlled CTC model railway is much easier to run than a train order/ timetable one.

CH

Reply to
Captain Handbrake

It's a significant expense!

Reply to
Gregory Procter

YAWN!! If you were doing this 20 times a minute it might be an issue worth discussing.

Paul

-- Excuse me, I have to untangle a telephone cord.

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Oh, yes!

Reply to
mark_newton

Yeah. And I wouldn't mind betting that Procter's interpretation of those practices owes more to his imagination than anything else.

Reply to
mark_newton

Absolutely.

Thanks for the compliment!

Well, if you're ever out this way, that can be easily arranged.

Reply to
mark_newton

Simple solution, is to just let the guy relax in your killfile along with Terrence. It works for me.

Reply to
Greg Rudd

LOL. I notice you didn't object to the first paragraph, which is a summation of what you said, not a quote. So is the 2nd paragraph.

which include parts

operators".

Even after several DCC folks here told you in great detail how they, their friends, or their clubs operated in prototypical fashion, you kept using that accusation in arguments to those very same people. I don't know what other conclusion can be reached other than you think all DCC operators don't operate prototypically. Or perhaps you just think they were lying?

As do many DC operators. That's not a DC/DCC issue, though you insist on making it one.

term slot car

forward by a DCC

what they had

Nope. You might be trying to disclaim it now, but it was a central theme of several of your posts.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Reply to
Mike Tennent

I always thought that was too obvious to suggest.

Sort of like saying you won't convert any of your boxcars from Rapido couplers because you can't do them all at once.

The other part of it is -- of those 60 - 100 engines, how many does a person regularly run on their layout?

If I was in that situation, I'd start with my favorite runners and go from there. You can always run one non-decoder engine with the others, so you the others in.

Like Jon says, this is a red herring issue.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Reply to
Mike Tennent

Greg often seems confused about which planet he's on.

Mike,

Wasn't that your layout in the recent N Scale mag?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

In article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Cheery Littlebottom at snipped-for-privacy@this.is.a.fake.address.com wrote on 1/12/05 21:45:

Speaking as a railroader, that "loco driver" (which we call an "engineer" in North America) was not familiar with the physical characteristics of the line over which he ran, or if he was, may have been distracted momentarily, with the unfortunate result.

Given the nature of railroading, it is EXTREMELY SCARY to work with someone who had NO IDEA where he is.

Dieter Zakas

Reply to
Dieter Zakas

No, I don't have any argument with it.

No it isn't. I have not branded _all_ DCC operators as anything. Most definitely where you're modelling a stretch of track where trains running in the same direction are separated by time alone and where you don't utilize hidden staging yards, DCC is the way to go. The second sentence is a repeat of one posted here by a DCC proponent giving one of the positive points that lead him to go with DCC.

which include parts

DCC operators".

I think that as I was trying to impart information on how an analogue block system can be installed without rotary switches, using the methods of operation of the prototype, and these bozzos can only argue that there is no prototypical system of operation beyond the loco driver, that I am justified in thinking that _they_ don't know how a railway operates. I do not think that _all_ DCC operators don't operate prototypically.

DC operators are dissuaded from operating slot car style because they are forced by blocking/control requirements to think what they are doing - no such problem with DCC. On the other hand, there is nothing about DCC that stops anyone thinking if they chose to think.

I term slot car

put forward by a DCC

understand what they had

Aww, utter bullshit. Go back and read the posting from whoever it was that made the comment in the first place.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

It would be obvious if there was a prize at the end of the process, such as improved operation. Rather more obvious though is the fact that the layout of the person who is modifying his loco stock three or four locos at a time is going to be set up for analogue operation, so why would he/she want decoder fitted locos?

Why would one want to change from analogue to DCC operation if one has an analogue operated layout?

I tend to agree - having got past it, I found I didn't want the disadvantages of DCC.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

I know which one I'm on, but I'm unsure which one you're on.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

easily with DC electrical blocks and computer assistance than with DCC. I've managed to put together a system that mimics, to me, how this railway operated.< I'm going to take a SWAG here and say you have a home built Command Control system on your computer. I/O cards probably control the DC throttle and the block connections. You can have the computer programmed to work like your German RR system. Bottom line is you have a Command Control system (designed to connect analog throttles thru home built I/O boards). I'm guessing it's complex (including the programming) and impressive. It's just not NMRA DCC!

Reply to
Jon Miller

The term "engineer" is already ascribed in the real world, so let's stick with meaningful terms like "loco driver". The visual aspect of the landscape changes when subjected to darkness and fog. Normal recognition features will disappear and others will become relatively more prominent. I recently had to undertake a 300 mile drive at night with half the distance in fog. (MR exhibition) At around the 100 mile mark I gave up as I was driving by looking out the side window at the white center-line much of the time. By that stage due to my variations in speed and the lack of any recognition features, I had almost no idea of my location in relation to the next city and likely motels.

Even worse is someone who thinks he knows where he is but has it wrong.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Not that I know of. Mine's not even close to being photogenic - no scenery.

Here's all I have now. I can operate, but it's not pretty...

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Reply to
Mike Tennent

system can be installed

these bozzos can only

that I am justified

Greg,

Some of those "bozzos" are actual railroad employees. They operate the real thing. But you refuse to acknowledge that, which is why just about everyone here considers your whining to be hilarious.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Reply to
Mike Tennent

Sure, yes, but, they only *operate* it, they don't *understand* it, not like I do.

They're only driving *trains* like slotcars, not operating a *railway* prototypically like I do.

Reply to
mark_newton

Reply to
Jon Miller