Re: Terry Flynn - Unnecessary abuse of

Well, ya could ignore him...

Reply to
Cheery Littlebottom

It takes two acting to have a flame war.

The world is a quaint place and I'm an observer. :^)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

New Zealanders at least, tend to have sympathy for the little guy.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

And pray tell just exactly wot is a "dummy spitter"? And as far as being a "weekend Fireman" goes, if you are not 80 years old, then its about the only firing you'll ever get to do. Steam has been gone for a very, very long time. There are precious few opportunities to fire a real, full-size steam loco these days other than the weekend varieties. However, that does not make one any less of a fireman. Firing a steam loco is the same job whether you do it every day, or only at every opportunity, which might happen to be on weekends, and three or four times a year on excursions. You'd damn well better know how to fire an engine or you will make a bomb of it. I wonder how many people wish they could be a "Weekend Fireman"? I don't think that is a very good attempt at an insult. I wonder if the insulter can fire/has fired at all? Is there any reason to think that a "weekend fireman" is somehow inferior to someone who has never fired at all? If it was me, I don't think I would use that one.

Froggy, snipped-for-privacy@thepond.com

Reply to
Froggy

From the Macquarie Dictionary Book Of Slang:

  1. spit the dummy; to throw a tantrum.

Here in Australia a baby's pacifier is usually known as a dummy. When babies ark up, they spit their dummy out first, hence the phrase. A related phrase with the same meaning is "throw your rattle out of the pram".

Well, I'm not 80, nowhere near it yet. But I did work for 3801 Limited, a heritage steam train operator here in Sydney, for twelve years. Initially as a volunteer, later as an employee. We mainly ran on weekends, but also did weekday trips, and some lengthy excursions interstate. I got to do plenty of firing, not just on weekends!

Government mainline operations ended in February 1973 in NSW. A few locos were retained for workshop and excursion use, and the private colliery lines in the Hunter Valley kept steam going until the late 80s. As a young bloke, I used to visit Hexham at every opportunity, where a relative was an engineman on the RVR.

Absolutely. All our running was on the mainline, usually with a train made up to or near the maximum load. Both our 4-6-2s were authorised for

115kph, and the tight paths available to us meant that we ran track speed wherever possible. If you couldn't fire well out on the road, you tended to get rostered for shed work instead...

From my experience, many people wish that - until you point out just how much hard bloody work is involved. But some who expressed an interest persevered, and became good hands.

Not as far as I'm aware. I think that may be part of his problem.

I don't think so, but only the OP could properly answer that. I get the impression he regards most people as being inferior - but then again, I

*am* biased! :-)

Oddly enough, some of the older blokes on the job do use the phrase, but in a different context. I've heard it used to describe people whose firing technique is deficient, but mainly about blokes who take sickies a lot, and prefer to turn up on weekends, when the pay rates and penalties are better!

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
mark_newton

Yes, can't deny that. I can't say that I've ever thought of our Terry as the little guy, though. :-)

Reply to
mark_newton

Yeah, I could, and every so often I've done just that. All well and good, then he starts up again, pontificating on some subject he is entirely ignorant of, and my desire to set him straight gets the better of me. I should know better by now. :-(

Reply to
mark_newton

It looks a little like he's being ganged up on.

Reply to
Greg Procter

And it looks to me like he is holding his own. Like Jackie Chan in a movie

Froggy, snipped-for-privacy@thepond.com

Reply to
Froggy

Some would say, instead, like PeeWee Herman in a theater.

Reply to
Steve Caple

I tend to read the first few new lines to see if there is any useful railway content and then hit "delete" so I'm only getting an impression of numbers of abusive posts. I'm definitely not offering to be an adjudicator!

Reply to
Greg Procter

I only read this part of the thread because I saw your name attached. Useful model railway content is scant here any more.

Froggy, snipped-for-privacy@thepond.com

Reply to
Froggy

Let's talk about model railways! :-)

Reply to
Greg Procter

Eaiser said than done. I don't know that there is actually anything to talk about. People ask questions and others answer them and a few ongoing flame wars keep plugging along, and that's about it. Pick a topic and get something started

Froggy, snipped-for-privacy@thepond.com

Reply to
Froggy

Pick a topic and get something started< How about the fact a distribution company has been formed and they are the distributor for QSI decoders! There is also some text that OMI is going to sell _plastic_ engines with Digitrax _sound_ decoders. And then that new N scale company (off shoot of BLI) will be using ESU sound decoders.

That ought to keep the folks busy for awhile!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Jon Miller

OK, how about this. I was wandering the web a while back and found an ad for "flexible" epoxy from a company called PC-products. No, not "politically correct" or "personal computer", "Protective Coatings."

Ace Hardware carries some of their products, but our local Ace didn't have this one, called PC-superepoxy. But they were willing to order it for me.

I emailed the company asking about the stuff and got an email back that said while it still wasn't as flexible as the rubber cements (an honest company!) it should be flexible enough for attaching rail to wooden ties. However, no mention was made of over what length.

So I'm going to use it for some crossovers I'm building. Total length is under 18", so expansion/contraction in a temperature controlled environment should be pretty small. If that works, I'll try it on track, but leave an expansion gap between each rail length.

I'm using it in a room with only a little ventilation and it's a lot less smelly than MEK. But it's still a good idea to use ventilation, even though the packing only mentions skin irritation as a problem.

Their website is:

So, anyone else use this stuff?

And the usual - I have no interest in the company other than as a customer.

BTW, I've also used their PC=7 as a rail gap filler - thick paste, almost like clay, doesn't run.

Reply to
lgb

Pick a topic and get something started< How about the fact a distribution company has been formed and they are the distributor for QSI decoders! There is also some text that OMI is going to sell _plastic_ engines with Digitrax _sound_ decoders. And then that new N scale company (off shoot of BLI) will be using ESU sound decoders.

That ought to keep the folks busy for awhile!!!!!!!!!!!

I reposted this as I supect many folks have some of the names in the kill file.

Reply to
Jon Miller

I see a list of resonable accurate observation's. Fully justifed as a response to your juvinile foul, disgusting and defamatry posts. You have got off lightly. Your dislike must come from my ability to expose your lies. I don't dislike you Mark, because I enjoy a laugh from exposing your lies. Just remember every time you operate your H0 layout and your H0 finescale wheels glide over the H0 finescale crossing V's you have, you can think of my H0 finescale standard and note it works, even though you don't have a clue why.

Reply to
Terry Flynn

snip

Or told to leave, which is what happened to Mark.

Why would I want to spend weekends shoveling coal?

I can think of better things to do with my spare time.

The term worked because it showed Mark not to be the big expert he was claiming to be at the time.

Reply to
Terry Flynn

What a load of hot c*ck Terry!!! If you knew the real reason you would not be sprouting such rubbish.

Sums it all up

Terrance. Your crap has gone on for long enough. I think it is time for you to make yourself at home with such esteemed individuals such as Pestdill,and Jean-Paul Turdcad in my Killfile *PLONK*

Reply to
Greg Rudd