Retail Price, Hobby Shops, & Discounting

Maybe in your area, they do. In my community, they don't. After the third time in a row that I went into the local Wal-Mart and had to look through piles of stuff on the floor (because none of their staff could be bothered to re-rack the stuff the patrons had left laying about), and had to fight my way past surly patrons trailing large numbers of poorly behaved children they were ill-equipped to control, only to deal with indifferent staff at the check-out, I swore "never more."

There's a limit to what I'll subject myself to in order to save a few bucks here or there. If a store costs me a couple bucks more over the course of my shopping but delivers a more pleasant shopping experience, that's where I'll go. As an example, there are two of the large grocery chains near my house (neither one Wal-Mart). One of them has slightly lower prices, but wants to give me the third degree when I write a check, even with their "shopper card," which has all of my contact information accurately on file. The other one doesn't. I don't subject myself to the hassle at the lower-priced one any more.

-fm Perpetrator of the Haggis Decal Project, at

The address in the header of this message is deliberately bogus to foil address-harvesters. See my web sites for my real address.

Reply to
Fritz Milhaupt

Employment is a lagging indicator...I'd stick to modeling if I were you...

Jeff Sc. Better Than Ever, Ga.

Reply to
crosstie

Not to start a political go-around here, but in Bush's defense, this recession was a long time in coming. The kick-off, IIRC, was when Thailand revalued the baht and the Indonesian currency/economy went in the dumper back in '97. It's been a ripple effect ever since. The dot-com bust, the Enron scandal and subsequent fallout...

True. It takes time to compile the statistics. It also takes time for business to recognize the need for more people and get them hired (back).

Unfortunately I'm in one of the areas of the country that's still lagging. Glad you're seeing better times, Jeff. I hope it gets here, and soon!

Jay CNS&M Wireheads of the world, unite!

Reply to
JCunington