1000 Engine Rally

Hi John, A good way to get insurance is to join a local vintage club. If you don't have a local club you can join NWSEA for £6 a year to get full insurance for third party damage at any rally, exhibition or ploughing match in the UK. (£5.000.000 Limit) Ring 01772 433742 if you need this.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

Thanks Dave.

I shall do as you suggest and all going well see you at Astle.

Regards,

John

Reply to
John Macdonald Smith

I'm thinking about going this year, are there any camping facilities for non-exhibitors or do I need to make my own arrangements elsewhere?

I travelled there and back 2 years ago and the drive back to Newcastle seemed a lot longer than going.

Thanks

Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy Gibson

Hi Jimmy, to find out about the camping arrangements ring Kevin staton on 01260 281378. A few years ago I rang Knutsford Tourist Information & they sent me a list of B&B's. I just rang them & they are sending me a list of accommodation in the area. The only B&B now listed is Mrs Roberts. 01565 652123. Contact me off list if you want any further help.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

Sadly a business trip to Vienna prevents my attendance - I had hoped to make my first visit this year :-(

Work is a very dirty word isn't it???

In message , Dave Croft writes

Reply to
john. ambler

It seems to me that there are a lot of us from this NG going & it'll be nice to get to know each other better.

What engines are we all taking?

I'm putting together a number of fairly small engines and intend to bring Norman T300 & T600, a small Coventry-Victor flat twin, the Edgar Westbury 80 watt set and the ever present Iron Horse. I've found an old wooden ammo box about five feet long and this will form a novel mounting to get the WD stuff off the floor and a bit more visible. A great advantage of small engines is that I should be able to get all of them into the Volvo and avoid using a trailer.

I'm currently working on an electrikery board, but it might not be finished in time.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Now I've finished building a cooling tank and adapting the trolley so it will go in the van I can commit to fetching my Blackstone 2 1/2Hp to the

1000 Engine. It will be the first time it's been out for 20 years, and it will be its last season before another rebuild as it has terminal bore wear problems. My display board always mentions the NG so look out for me. It sounds as though Kim will be easy enough to spot with a nice variety of stuff.

Lister-Petter this weekend, see you all on the rallyfield.

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

Good idea Dan , if we all put "NG member (name)" somewhere on our display boards, it wouldn't mean anything to the rest of the world, but would identify the shy lurkers for us cognoscenti ;o))

The rest of us will no doubt have chapter and verse, although I must say that -being paranoid - I don't display my address anymore.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
J K Siddorn

I am having major problems with the engine I was hoping to take to the

1000 engine. I am taking the day off work tomorrow to try and sort it out and will decide then whether or not I feel I can take it.

I managed to have it running two weeks ago for about twenty minutes until it had used all the fuel in the tank without any trouble. I was already thinking it was a bit too good to be true. I then thought it prudent to give it a longer run last weekend but it failed to start. I now have the sprayer in bits and am hoping that it just needed a good clean out. I also know that the half compression cam is not doing its job so I have to start the engine by bouncing off compression but that is not enought to stop me from bringing the engine. I was very much looking forward to bringing it and will be dissapointed if I have to come along as a foot passenger again.

John

Reply to
John Macdonald Smith

Hi John, The 1000 engine is the one to take an engine with problems. With all those true enthusiasts & experts about you will get it sorted. About meeting each other, Joan who is in the entry tent is a friend of mine & I was thinking of getting her to pass messages for us so we can arrange a meeting time & place.

Reply to
Dave Croft

Dave,

I wasn't sure if that would be considered bad form if I was to turn up with an engine that can't run on the day. I would relish the opportunity to get others opinion on the engine in question. It is such a shame as it ran like a sewing machine the other week. There were no nasty knocks anywhere so the bearings are definitely not a problem and there is no lack of compression. I think it is just a case of tweeking it a bit.

So would it be OK to bring it with the distinct possibility that it might not run?

John

Reply to
John Macdonald Smith

I have spoken to Joan Snelson who does the booking in & she will pass on messages. I will leave a message sheet with Joan so we can arrange a meeting each day to meet & have a photo session. We took pictures of the ATIS group at the 1000 in 2002. See below.

Croft

Reply to
Dave Croft

Is there an opportunity to visit the Anson museum at some time over the weekend? Last time I went it was closed (presume Geoff was at the rally).

Reply to
Nick H

I just asked Geoff & he said that the museum will be open on the Saturday evening with coaches running between the two sites.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

That'd be good, I've never been. When does 'the evening' start and finish? I'm staying near Macclesfield so it'll be a matter of whether before or after dinner at hotel.

Reply to
Nick H

Hi Nick, Geoff will be open on Saturday from about 7pm to 9 pm. If you want a preview see

on my webshots.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

Looks like after an early dinner then (ISTR there is a particularly good chip shop in Macclesfield!) I shall look forward to it.

Reply to
Nick H

It's raining here & has been for the best part of 24 hours. The forecast is good for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, but will the ground dry out in time? With steam traction to hand, I don't see there being much problem with getting stuck cars out, but it may lengthen my already long wheelbase!

I see its about ten miles from Astle Park to The Anson. Do the coach tickets go like hot cakes? If so, can one book in advance?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
J K Siddorn

I have visited the 1000 engine rally only twice over the last ten years or so and twice it has been wet - I do hope it's not going to be three out of three!

BTW traction engines have practically b. all traction on muddy ground!

Reply to
Nick H

The BBC website gives heavy rain for saturday for Manchester with showers and sunshine for Sunday, Friday looks to be the only decent day:

Prepair Ltd