A Where we live map

Not necessarily true Richard.

Of necessity the graphic has to be linked to a mailto: anchor or the graphic would not act as a link.

Spambots and harvesters are not graphic related programs but act upon the text in the HTML therefore making the email address available for nefarious reasons.

Reply to
George Hendry

I too use ad aware but I also religiously use the delete cookies facility in IE6. There are probably better ways but I also frequently delete all the sub-directories from windows\Temporary Internet Files\ , since Windows/IE6 seem to use it for all sorts of crap which it doesn't tidy up and isn't always visible. It also gets rid of a seemingly ever-increasing dat file. It does mean I lose a few "useful" cookies but its a small price to pay. IE seems to rebuild it all fine but perhaps best not to try this at home.... any expert views? On a related note can I invite you all to join me in refraining from pressing any buttons on these wretched call handling centres. Because they still have to allow for folk without touch-tone phones the default is almost always to put you straight in the queue for a human and sometimes to by-pass it. regards

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Glad I'm not the only one sufficiently paranoid to do this. But I suspect it's probably all in vain and that one day we will all be had up for something we hadn't even considered (promoting the squandering of fossil fuels perhaps?). ISTR it was Frank Zappa who put forward the theory of 'total criminalisation' as a means by which governments could make their populations easier to control, it's coming true with speed cameras - could the net police be next?

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Perhaps I should have explained better. Yes of course if you use the graphic as a "click here" button to send mail the information the spambots are looking for will be found in the html code of the page. But if you create a graphic of the email address as I have done on my contact page:

I would like to see the spambot that could harvest it.

Sadly anyone who wishes to contact me has to manually enter the address, I know that this is making them jump through hoops, and I would much prefer that they did not need to. I have tried other methods where the mailto: string is mailto&#58 and the @ is &#64, it worked for a while, but not for long, the spam scum soon found software that decoded that. I would contend that my method is ideal for the private individual but it would be a foolish thing for a business that relied on their web site for their income to do.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

Ahh, but my black bakelite 'phone with the shiny chromium plated dial is singularly devoid of pushbuttons in any case. The default 'live person' can take a while to answer but they nearly always do :-))

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
ClaraNET