OT Another scam?

I just received this email, it comes with a "send a reply to sender" option.

Is this another scam to collect email addresses and sell to spam merchants.

Sorry for OT but read the message! p.s. phone number is not valid.

Goof afternoon Simon,

We are the appointed Loss Adjusters for an Insurance company and are currently looking into a case of fire damage to a Wallis & Steevens 3 point road roller. Given that you are the expert in this area, we would appreciate your comments on the following please:

Are Wallis & Steevens still in business? If yes, are they still located in Basingstoke? (would you have a contact name/number/email of an engineer at W&S please?) If no, when did the business wind up? (would you have a contact name/number/email of somebody who would be regarded as an expert with W&S road rollers please?) We are attempting to put a value on a machine (serial number: ONF2 O 764077 and engine (Ford) number: 702 F 6015 AAA), your comments/imput would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance, Kind regards,

Wade Taylor Technomarine Ltd ph: 01-460 7758 (direct line) fax: 01-460 7783

********************************************************************** This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager.

Simon Taylor

Hi Steven, I think myself that this is one of the most unusual spams I have ever seen! The phone numbers predates the change of numbers many years ago but the details sound quite genuine (apart from the misspelling). The firm cannot be located on Google but it seems silly for someone to to do so much vintage research for a spam. Are you a steam enthousiast or do you live near Basingstoke? You can also do a properties/details search on the e mail to see the address of the sender. Please let us know how you get on with this.

Reply to
Dave Croft

Reply to
CHARLES HAMILTON SNR

the domain thornpart.ie gives you a clue. Try

and you will get a page with a logo for Technomarine, Thornton and Partners and Liability Claims Appraisers.

The .ie AFAICR indicates Eire. So could the suspect telephone numbers be quite genuine Eire numbers?

Do you still think it is dodgy?

Reply to
use_reply_to_address

W & S ceased trading in July 1981.

The ONF was a late model roller and value would be around £500 I would guess (all I'd pay for a runner). Anthony Coulls, who may be listening, would be best bet for more info.

Paul

-- ____________________________________

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

(under construction)

Reply to
Paul Evans

Further to my previous post I assumed that the phone number was a valid Eire number and dialled 00353 1 460 7758 and got an answer from the personal voice mail of wade Taylor.

It certainly doesn't look like a scam to me.

Reply to
use_reply_to_address

Without seeing the headers of the original message it seems likely that it could be genuine, the clue is in the snipped-for-privacy@thornpart.ie part of the message.

brings up a site of a firm in Ireland, the name of the firm on the site is Technomarine Ltd. A further check reveals the site is hosted by
is BT's Northern Ireland Internet service. Finally a WHOIS check confirms that Thornton & Partners own the thornpart domain name. The sender might have used a local code for the telephone number. As they have contacted you, they already have your email address so you don't have a great deal to lose by replying.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

"Richard H Huelin" wrote The sender might have used a local code for the telephone number. As they have contacted you, they already have your email address so you don't have a great deal to lose by replying.

As they have not asked you for any personal contact details nor any other suspiciously leading questions, I'd take it at face value and reply without giving anything away about what you might own yourself. I'd get very nervous very quickly if they asked this sort of thing in subsequent mailings, tho'...

I often see vans with out of date STD codes written on them, some parochial persons with no codes at all!

Rude of them to use your first name without introduction ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a free frontal lobotomy!

Reply to
J K Siddorn

- I forgot to say - if it turns out to be a real job, don't be an expert for nothing, consultancy is worth money!

Reply to
J K Siddorn

O.K. so looks like a real email,

but where did they get their info from, I have never heard of them and I don't know a thing about road rollers exept that I would not want one to roll over my foot!

Thanks to all of you for helping with this one, Must be a case of mistaken identity.

Simon Taylor

Reply to
Simon Taylor

The number is a Dublin number.