OT - vehicle importing

Gentlemen, your practical advice is sought. I've waded through the stuff on the DVLA website, but none of it quite fits the bill. My friend is currently in New Zealand with her Indian built & registered Royal Enfield & is thinking of coming home to the UK with it.

Has anyone here practical experience of this kind of thing? If so, please reply off list.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

I believe it would have to be submitted for (and pass!) an MSVA test before it could be registered in UK, though ISTR there may be some kind of exemption for older vehicles. Perhaps F2 Motorcycles who import current Enfield models could advise?

Reply to
Nick H

the vehicle is ten years old or older there is no ESVA test required, it's just a case of filling in a form from your dvla office to register it, although you also need the import documentation and the de registration docs i cant help with them my vehicles have always come with them already.

HTH Regards, Gary M..

Reply to
gary millward

Kim --

Ask her to find you a nice little Blackstone of similar weight. Ask her to bring that home, & buy her another Enfield when she gets here.

Not worth enough to merit bringing it back, IMHO. Now down to less than =A32k brand new. =A31k for a decent s/h version. Shipping will be costly enough, & I'd check the residual value in NZ -- could well be higher than here. Well worth doing for rarities, but I'd suggest current production bikes don't tip the economic scales the right way.

I'm a great fan of importing goodies, & brought a couple of m/c back from the US when I returned. No difficulties at all, nor any duty as I'd owned them for a year in the land of the free (Florida

-- can still ride without helmets -- wonderful to be au naturel again after 35 years with head stuck in a bucket, especially in hot, humid climes).

Colin

Reply to
Colin