un oeuf

Some will no doubt think me paranoid but I am ceasing to post here. Many of the posters seem to be simply out for personal gain and/or using assorted pseudonyms via hotmail or similar. A cynic might wonder how many real people there are amongst them! I now cannot see an appeal for an engine without wondering. Whatever, its no place for a grumpy old innocent.

To the genuine people I extend my thanks and ask that you let me know when a moderated group is set up. best regards

Reply to
Roland Craven

CHARLES HAMILTON

[unlurk]

I only see the ng regulars and one or two of those get rich quick paypal things. You probably need a usenet provider with better spam filters.

[lurk]
Reply to
Kerplonk

I agree with Kerplonkie.

I just started lurking (once again) in this group and all the posts I see come across as being on the up and up.

Are you talking about posts to this group Roland or the volumne and types of e-mail that you receive.

Reply to
Shiver

Gidday Roland I come in from a respite from painting and what do I find? Roland has tossed his toys out of the cot! :-( I hope that one may be precluded from aforementioned types bent on personal gain? Although a bit of personal at present would be welcome! :-)

Actually my biggest complaint with the group is a few po-faced types that seem immune to levity. Still I suppose it's the Pom culture for some to look with disdain upon those of a colonial persuasion.

Never mind, I do hope that I can still prevail upon your good self for edification on things, engine Uk peculiar? Cheers Tom Ps I was following a egg delivery truck the other day, the rego was: LAID

Reply to
Tom

Strange, I see a group consisting primarily of a number of regulars and the occasional passer-by. The latter should be cherished and encouraged to become one of the former, that's the only way our knowledge base will expand. Yes there is the odd troll (who we almost invariably end up feeding!) and some 'cake takers' like petterguy, but I think one runs into undesirables in practically every walk of life. One thing I would agree on is that a personal name and valid return address inspire more confidence than a handle and 'nospam@nowhere', though had I known what I know now, I'm not sure I would have started out on usenet that way!

Moderated groups? All run the risk of missing out on a gem by making prospective members jump through hoops, some do work well though while others wither and die by being too picky.

This is the sign-up message for the stirling engine group SESUSA:-

"Thank you for submitting your name for membership in the SESUSA Stirling engine list server. Because the contents of the list archives are accessible by non-members and the fact that this is an advanced discussion of a relatively technical nature, we are seeking members who can and want to contribute to our knowledge base.

Although we value practical experience and knowledge as every bit as valuable to us as a degree in engineering,(CAD skills, machinist skills,thermodynamics knowledge, Stirling engine construction history) we still need a positive contribution from each of our members old and new for this group to accomplish its mission. Go to yahoogroups.com/group/sesusa site to see our goals set forth on the home page.

We are now requesting that each person who joins this group submit some sort of voluntary contribution to aid our efforts. We accept monetary contributions through Pay-Pal and original papers or monographs may be sent to the list owner as Word documents. We are not setting a value on the contribution because it is purely voluntary but likewise we do not set an upper limit either.

Please send an email snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com immediately upon receipt of this message and let us know that you have read the description of the Stirling engine at yahoogroups.com/group/sesusa and have visited the

web page. You may also tell us what you plan to contribute at that time if you wish.

Please also affirm that you will abide by the rules of Yahoogroups.com and the stated purpose of the SESUSA list specifically.

The

list is a bit more expansive in their outlook. Take a look at their list too."

Note the final paragraph and compare the activity on these two groups - I know which one I most look forward to opening in the morning.

Stay in touch Roland.

Reply to
Nick H

Superb---made my day..

Reply to
Noel

"Noel" wrote:-

No idea what that is supposed to mean but I guess that together with kerplonk and shiver it may go some way to explaining Roland's feelings. So I (sort of) understand your reasons and appreciate that we will still enjoy your input on a person to person basis, but do regard it as a loss that it is not to be 'broadcast' as it were. I for one don't know everything that I don't know, if you know what I mean - so your answer to someone elses question may just have been the part of the jigsaw that I didn't even know was missing!

Reply to
Nick H