Aerial photos - better than Google Earth / maps

Please go back and read what I said, not what other people have said I said. There were no sweeping statements. The highest resolution offered by M$ is higher than the best offered by Google, simply because they allow you to look at the unprocessed images, before they were "corrected" for perspective in order to stitch them together.

To be honest, I wouldn't have thought that the folk on this group would have needed of the rider "image quality may very depending on the location being viewed", any more than they would need it to say "Caution, contents may be hot" on top of a McDonalds coffee.

Adrian

Reply to
AdrianB

That link doesn't work for me at all, and even if I try

I just get redirected to
seems not to have images at all, only maps.

But then as a Mac owner using Safari, I'm probably not the target market. So for me, MS's version scores nul points.

Cat.

Reply to
The Stainless Steel Cat

Like I said, the best maping device depends on where and what you are looking for.

Whilst your post may be helpful for soe, it will not be so, for others.

Aerial photos are not of a universal quality across the who;e country.

Reply to
Bob

Surely that goes without saying. Anyone who has spent five minutes with any of these tools will realise that - especially the type of person who would make models and frequent a USENET group. I really didn't think I needed to point that out.

Once more, all I was trying to point out was that you could get at the SOURCE photos rather than the manipulated, stretched and by necessity, degraded versions which are stitched together on ALL of these sites. On M$, that means that theBEST stitched images are no better than the BEST images on Google, but the SOURCE IMAGES (called "Birds Eye View" on M$) are clearer and higher resolution than ANYTHING available on Google in ANY AREA (at the moment). Of course these high-res source images are not available for all locations.

I'm off to uk.performance.cars. Someone there has just posted a message about the latest BMW saying how good the suspension is. Perhaps I'll point out that Land Rovers are better if you live in the Highlands of Scotland. Perhaps not.

Adrian

Reply to
AdrianB

Suit yersel Adrian