Dapol Change of Plan Announced Mid-day

The message from ":::Jerry::::" contains these words:

Noah doubt it'll be hard to find photos of the prototype...

ITYM "Quad-art"

Reply to
David Jackson

....and now I suppose there will be a flood of responses on here....

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Are those the ones where the passengers went in eight by eight?

TOS

Reply to
The Old Salt

"John Turner" wrote A very round O!

Not so sure that the LNWR made up half the LMS - the Midland wasn't that much smaller and you need to remember the L&Y (which I know was technically absorbed by the LNWR the year before grouping), LT&SR, FR, M&C, the Wirral, NLR, G&SWR, CR and HR along with the various interests in Ireland, and joint lines such as the S&D and the M&GN, etc.

John.

Oi ! You missed the North Staffs !

:-)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

Soz Andy, I'd intended to include it, but I guess the 'etc' at the end was also a catch-all! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Tim Illingworth" wrote

Bloody hell, don't tell the guys at Margate that the Southern had some RODs or it will be in the 2007 catalogue without fail.

Got to admit that I didn't realise the LSWR had the GC 2-8-0s, although I knew the other companies did.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Well, I'm more hoping for the T9 and the Maunsell coaches.

The LSW had a slightly larger loading gauge than the LBSC or the SEC, so were able to take some of them. They had no problems on the GW, of course.

Reply to
John Ruddy

"John Ruddy" wrote

Did the LSWR RODs actually end up working with the Southern or did they disappear before the grouping?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I think they had all gone back by 1920. There wasn't a massive need for them, as Urie's S15 4-6-0's could easily handle the goods traffic out of Southampton as they were coming out in 1920. Since Maunsell was involved in some of the design for the ROD loco's, the fact that he built further S15's rather than ROD based 2-8-0's shows that they wern't really needed.

Reply to
John Ruddy

The RODs were loaned out post WW1 -

Caledonian 50, GCR 93, GWR 84, LYR 28, LNWR 151, LSWR 17, NER 35, GER 42, SECR 6. The LNWR and GWR applied their own numbers and the LSWR started to but didn't complete the process. The LYR got of their

28 once they were found to be out of gauge. LNWR engines were barred south of Stafford.

30 were sold to the LNWR in 1919, and 20 to the GWR, who purchased 80 more in 1925.

Loan periods ended in Autumn 1921.

273 were sold to the LNER between 1923 and 1927 adding to the existing ex GCR 8K locos, and 75 to the LMS in 1927 but only 20 entered service, the tenders of the remainder being used behind LNWR engines. 24 went to China and possibly 6 more as well, 23 went to Australia and possibly 2 more.

61 had active WW2 service, and 5 went to Suez in 1956

Mike Parkes snipped-for-privacy@mphgate.removetoreply demon.co.uk

Reply to
Mike Parkes

"John Turner" wrote

Soz Andy, I'd intended to include it, but I guess the 'etc' at the end was also a catch-all! ;-)

John.

Yeah, I know... Hence the Smiley ! Just pullin' ya leg ! Andy