DCC stuff

I have a Bachmann class 20 with sound which I wish to run with another Bachmann class 20 but the problem is that when they start to move the one with out sound trieds to move while the sound 20 is "Winding itself up" is there a way to overcome this? can you put a delay on the non sound loco so they move off together? thanks in advance Phil

Reply to
Phil

The two locos start moving at different voltages, because the sound decoder takes quite a bit of power. I don't know if you can reset the speed-range (voltage range) of a Bachmann decoder, but that's the only way to match them. Actually, speed range control is one of the advantages of DCC: using it, you can have any number of locos running together hauling a train. Control Variables CV2 through CV6 control this.

AFAIK, all NMRA compatible decoders be programmed for speed range. Go to:

to find out about CVs. You'll find it useful in future, too.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf K.

No, it's as the OP says, because the sound decoder goes through a start up sequence for more realistic operation.

There's no way round this other than fitting another sound decoder or wiring the two units together to run from the same decoder (assuming it can cope with the extra load).

Andrew

Reply to
google

Interesting comment, since MRR's loco reviews all show that sound-equipped DCC locos start at much higher voltages (controller settings) than non-sound equipped locos. What am I misinterpreting here?

TIA.

Reply to
Wolf K.

Questions:

1) Are the two locos being run using the same address or do they have different addresses and are being run as a "consist"?

2) When you refer to the sound "winding itself up" are you referring to the idea that the loco is silent until you move the speed control at which point the motor goes through the start up process (like turning the key in your car)? Alternatively, is the engine sound running when you try to get it to move and then it starts to rev up and only later starts to move the loco?

Reply to
Graham Harrison

The way I interpret it is that the sound decoder is going through a start up sequence mimicking starting the engine, etc. Regardless of the voltage at which the decoder comes to life, there will always be a delay before it actually applies power to the motor.

I could be wrong.

Andrew

Reply to
google

1 the locos have the same address because I have Roco Mulimaus that doesn`t do consists, 2 Winding up is just the sound moving from Idle to powering up. I am looking at a new controler but but budget contraints and the choice of controllers are slowing that down abit lol
Reply to
Phil

Assuming a half way reasonable decoder, you can set the decoder speed range CVs of each decoder to match the other. I'd assume the sound module demands higher motor voltage output to operate the sound, so you'd have to reset the CVs of the non-sound equipped loco to match the sound model. If your CU doesn't allow you to change the CVs then Loy's Toys in the US does a cheap but excellent computer plug-in module for reprogramming decoders on the bench/desk.

Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter

wrote

The start up process has nothing to do with the running speed - it's simply responding to the activation of Function 1 (from memory). Even after starting up the sound-equipped loco does not move until it's told to do so.

It can sit all day on the layout all day burbling away and never be asked to move - much in the way that BR used to leave their locos idling.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

It's not quite that straightforward!

The sound modules I have encountered will idle (or steam sound) on DC at low speed settings wher one doesn't have access to Function commands. At a specific position (voltage) of the speed control knob the loco will move. Certainly on DCC the same loco will idle with the function on (or not with it off) but there does seem to be a 'delay' between turning the spped knob and the loco moving. I had assumed this to be the time for the set acceleration delay to reach starting voltage, but on reading the other posts I can see that it might well be a DCC delay for effect.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

"Greg Procter" wrote

But we're talking about the Bachmann 20s Greg. They will do a start-up routine (F1) with the throttle set to 0.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Phil" wrote

That still shouldn't be a problem, because you can program each loco & its associated decoder separately on your programming track.

Look at the second-hand market (eBay's a good option) for an older higher-spec Lenz system something like one of their late model Set 01 is a good choice. These can be acquired cheaply as many DCCers seem to upgrade on a regular basis.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I think the MRR review is refering to the DC voltage (on the track) that the loco will start at.This isn't related to any DCC setting. To the OP,have you tried turning the sound off (F8 ?) to see if that alters the operating characteristics of the loco.

Neil.

Reply to
mumbles

Ok, send me a Bachmann 20 and I'll take it apart for you! ;-) What happens on analogue power?

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

"Greg Procter" wrote

You wish! ;-)

Sound only works on DCC.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

Isn't that a bit last century?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

Probably elsewhere, but not in the UK. Anyone know whether Hornby's new sound offerings will work on analogue as well as digital?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

That's a shame. Having got some nice noisy items from both the US and Australia, where the sound works on both DCC and DC, anything that has sound on DCC but not on DC just doesn't seem right.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan