ex-LMS 4P loco

I have a Hornby class 4P loco (number 42322), which was allocated in 1960 (according to the Ian Allan "Locoshed Book") to Stockport.

What sort of duties would this engine be performing at around this time - would it be acceptable to use this on light freight/passenger duties within the Lancashire/Yorkshire region or definitely only on light passenger duties within the Manchester area?

Thanks in anticipation!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Tomlin

"Peter Tomlin" wrote

Similar locos in the Yorkshire area would have mainly been displaced from many local passenger turns by the new fangled DMUs, and would have found refuge working parcels or similar jobs. I can't believe it would have been much different around Stockport.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

From memories of the area and the time, and in addition to John's answer, local passenger services to Chinley (and possibly Buxton), with the odd run via the Hope Valley to Sheffield. Also the occasional piloting task between Machester and Derby on Manchester - St Pancras expresses, particularly if the latter - normally "Jubilee" or "Royal Scot" powered - had a Black 5 instead. Hope this helps, David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan

Unlikely duties for a Stockport loco, unless it was borrowed by Trafford Park for a few days. Non - express Midland line duties into Manchester were almost always worked by depots like Trafford Park, Derby & Millhouses, with Heaton Mersey & Rowsley locos mainly on freight.

I think there were still a handful of non-dmu passenger workings into Manchester Piccadilly (or was it still London Road in 1960) , Other work would include jobs like station pilot, and light parcels / freight trips as suggested by John.

Bevan Price

Reply to
Bevan Price

"Bevan Price" wrote

Still London Road - does anyone know when the name change took place?

Was watching a CineRail video 'West Riding Steam 3' from memory a couple of weeks ago, and two or three Fowler 2-6-4Ts and some bigger locos too were featured hauling a single Ex-LMS BG.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

What's a BG? : (

Peter

Reply to
Peter Tomlin

"Peter Tomlin" wrote

Full brake (BG = Gangwayed Brake).

John.

Reply to
John Turner

'Balance workings', I assume?...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

":::Jerry::::" wrote

I'd have said they were shifting small quantities of parcels from several stations along a particular route - remember BR still had a parcels service in those days - but for many routes one van would suffice.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Quite possibly, but the use of such an 'over kill' of motive power usually means either an out of place loco or more likely an unbalance of more usual workings for the said loco's.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

":::Jerry::::" wrote

Not at that time it didn't - there was a massive surplus of steam locos following the introduction of diesel traction and a general tail off in traffic. Many locos worked out their final days on the most inappropriate traffic - witness the use of Britannia pacifics on freight and parcels traffic from Carlisle at the end of their days.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

power

unbalance

inappropriate

parcels

Only if the loco's were available, do you really think that BR eve then would have fired up a large loco just to tow a single BG, the cost would be more than any possible profit!...

I stand by my remarks.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

And what would you say to the prospect of a Pacific loco and a one coach train! It happened regularly in the 50's on the southern region west of exeter. There, it was more a case of the loco being at the starting station, the stock being there and not having to fire up a different tank engine for just one or two short journeys.

Reply to
John Ruddy

OK, I will allocate the engine to light freight trips and only use my Class

110 DMUs for passenger working off the mainline. Thanks for the information.

PETER

Reply to
Peter Tomlin

from

parcels

power

unbalance

west of

different

But isn't that what I'm saying? OTOH john seems to be trying to suggest that they would have fired up a Pacific to haul that one coach just because they had no other work for it.

I well remember Deltics being used on all sorts of unlikely workings, not because they just used the loco in preference, but because it got the loco to were it was needed to be or should have been - hence my use of the term 'balance workings'. There were other, more rare, reasons, for example were staff shortages meant that the only crew that was available were passed only to drive certain loco's and thus a Deltic plus coaching stock was used instead of the usual DMU, this was in the days when the train got through and wasn't just cancelled, like what happens these days!...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

":::Jerry::::" wrote

Rarely was a loco fired up to do a single job, sheds would usually fire up enough locos for a week's work and whilst locos would be allocated specific jobs (which might be a week of one loco working a parcels trains comprising a single vehicle) there would be other instances of any loco in steam being used to fill a rostering gap.

I wouldn't class that as a balancing working, which was generally just a way of getting a loco back to base.

John.

Reply to
John Turner