Hornby 2007 rumour

Apparently they were quite bad riders. Remember it was supposed to be a premium service with a surcharge, so the expectation would be for a

*better* all round service not one that was the same as a regular train, let alone worse.
Reply to
Kevin Martin

I can well rmember the Welsh Dragon as it was the first Brittania hauled train regularly through Patchway. I read a proposal about the Pullman but was it called that? Certainly all the DMU stock ended their lives on that route but were they (by then) running as "Pullman" or just stock trains replacing Cardiff steam. By that time Bristol had about 50 Cl47's working almost all traffic. They were not happy days , in 1976 I was offered a job at Bath Road fault diagnosing on 47's &

50's which were scattered all over the region in various states of inactivity. The HST's were included as the electronics were (at that time) defeating the engineering staff. I did not take the job because the salary was mostly made up of special offers and the basic pay accounted for only 40% on the gross. Pensions were based on the basic pay. You cannot eat free travel.
Reply to
Peter Abraham

I think all Hornby have said is that they'll be releasing something from their past ranges.

Given that, and given that their current website competition asks a question about the APT, perhaps it'll be that. I would image that it wouldn't be too hard to fit one of their new power bogies to it and it would tie in quite well with their Pendolino release (well, in a historic sense).

We shall see...

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bartlett

that

That didn't stop the "Brighton Belle" from being over subscribed, even in it's latter days! The ride quality would have been viewed by the standards of the day and what went before, also the premium service surcharge bought air conditioning, a reserved seat, dinning and table service - things that were not available, at least all together, on the alternate (train) services.

Reply to
Jerry

...and sell even less that the 1960's Blue Pullman would, even if it was from unmodified Tri-ang tooling!

Reply to
Jerry

It was the ride in the power cars that was rough, the rest of the train was not too bad.

Reply to
Paul Stevenson

According to British Rail Fleet Survey No. 5 page 30. It is quoted thus

"The only bogie on the whole train that gave a consistantly good ride on the BR track of the period was the heavyweight non-powered bogie at the outer ends of the power cars!."

In other words I read it that the driver got a good ride but no one else. That seems to be the opposite conclusion to you.

Reply to
Kevin Martin

"Kevin Martin" wrote

Kevin, I may be wrong, but I thing both bogies under the "power cars" were powered, and so were bogies under the coaches, such as 1 end of the kitchen car - so it may infact refer to one end of a coach !

All the best now

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

You are wrong! It was found that fitting all the 4 traction motors on the power cars made the axleload on the end bogies (where the engines were) to high so the traction motors were on the inner end of the motor coaches and the adjacent bogie on the next coach, hence all the three bogies at each end were the heavy duty 'motor bogie' style but the end ones had no motors fitted. Regards Keith

Reply to
Keith

"Jerry" wrote

If they must insist on re-issuing models which were less than competent when they were first released, then I'd suggest that the Woddhead EM2 electric was the least incompetent of them, and would probably be the best seller.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

competent when

Or the 2Bil (or was it a 2EPB?) - assuming that the tooling can be found in the depth of the stores!....

Reply to
Jerry

The tools for this went to New Zealand.

If anyone thinks that Hornby are just going to reissue old models must be out of their brains.

Reply to
Paul Stevenson

Well it looks like MRM have the most concise summary of the D&E releases, backed up by limited info on the Rails of Sheffield site for one:-

The Blue Pullman is the 47 +mk2s, not the old one.

Reply to
airsmoothed

I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting anything of the sort, just stating what might sell due to the lack of other suitable models - IYSWIM?

Reply to
Jerry

Yes, but would a DEMU Blue Pullman be "modern railway modelling", it's been gone for more than 30 years!...

Reply to
Jerry

I heard they're bringing out a Claughton. Mind you, I work in a looney bin so possibly not the most reliable source? :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

looney bin

You work or live?.. :~o

Reply to
Jerry

If you take a tape measure onto trains, you will see that (standard class) train seats are often smaller than they used to be. For example, Pendolino seats are about 1½ inches narrower than Mark 3 seats. The most comfortable seats I have encountered were on the Southern Region - Bulleid open seconds out of Waterloo, and 4-COR emu's on the Portsmouth line. Some ex-GWR main line coaches were also good. LMSR & LNER corridor stock mostly had adequate legroom, but the seat padding was often too hard to be really comfortable. Some non-corridor suburban stock could be pretty grim when fully loaded. The Gresley quad-articulated stock used out of Kings Cross probably gave even less space than a Merseyrail Pacer, but the ride quality was much better.

As for the Blue Pullman - I could never afford to use a first class train eith supplement on the Midland Main line. Novelty value for a model layout, but not really typical of the 1960's railway scene.

Bevan

Reply to
Bevan Price

Ah, but did you ever have the chance to sample the delights of the SR double-decker at the height of the rush hour on the Bexleyheath line?

That mekes an eighteen hour flight on China Airlines seem like a trip to paradise by comparison.

Happy Christmas, all.

Reply to
jasper_goat

See Rails of sheffield website