Hornby Hymek ...

"Flingel Bunt" wrote

Spend the extra £20 and get the *much* better model.

Yes it has traction tyres and does work somewhat better than the ancient Triang and earlier Hornby versions, but it still has the high-maintenance pancake motor and poor gearing. It perpetuates a number of serious inaccuracies such as the misplaced large (fan?) grill on the roof.

Hornby are very good with their decoration, it's often the substantive model which lets them down.

The Hornby Hymek is ok for a 70s product, but I thought we'd moved on! :-/

The Heljan model is streets ahead in terms of accuracy and performance - well worth the extra £20!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Yo,

Anybody seen one of these first hand yet? I've only seen pix on Hattons website so far and it 'looks' ok for £20-ish less.

Just how does it compare to the Heljan (dimensional accuracy or whatever etc.) and does it have traction tyres?!?!?

At least they got the end skirting (cowling ?) and buffer beams the right colour ;o)

Thanks in advance

Fling

Reply to
Flingel Bunt