Hornby News

Given that they've just made an 08, perhaps a 13 is on the cards (TOPS class 13, not pre-"D" number 13)?

No? Well, it was worth a hope (and before anyone says, I know it's quite easy to convert 2 08s)

PhilD

Reply to
PhilD

"PhilD" wrote

I'd have thought this *very* unlikely. A class 13 is not much use unless you're modelling Tinsley Yard!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

That shouldnt stop them reproducing a very limited edition collecters set,

1000 only.... just cant imagine how much aldo would sell them for... ;-)

Reply to
ViP

In message , PhilD writes

What do you want one of them for? Are you building a model of Tinsley yard, perchance?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"John Turner" wrote

There are *very few* similarities between the 66 & the 59 although I appreciate the basic body profile is not dissimilar. Even the bogies are completely different. I suspect the 59 would require completely new tooling.

John.

I would "guess" though that if things are now CAD produced that at least they have a starter for 10!

Is that not half the cost doing the drawings?

Andy

P.S. Came for a ride around Hull the other night but we could only find some big bridge called Humber (not Sydney for once) and a factory all with blazing orange lights, but I forget the name. Near a Mcdonalds at Hessle?

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

"Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept." wrote

You were about 600 yards from me when at the McDonalds! Should have called in. :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Perhaps he has a layout based on no individual prototype but following a particular operational style, as many do, and he's emulating "a northern freight yard in the 70's" or similar.

What area are you modelling in the garden? I am interested to know where HST's, Merchant Navies and Milwaukee Road Boxcabs can be seen on the same stretch...

:o)

~Fil

Reply to
Fil Downs

"Fil Downs" wrote

Maybe he has, but I suspect there wouldn't be enough similar minded enthusiasts to justify a ready-to-run model of a class 13 hump-shunter.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Absolutely. But we all have our dreams...

...and you can't dis someone's dreams because they're not modelling a prototype location. What percentage of layouts do in any case?

Personally, the location I need is somewhere I could have seen a GNR Atlantic, a GWR 42xx, a Baby Deltic, a class 85 and an 07...right, here we are - Cuckooland! Anyone got any drawings? :o) Oh, and I need the locos RTR too of course!

~Fil

Reply to
Fil Downs

I've got a plan of Barry Scrap Yard some place.....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Agreed, John, but if Hornby are going down the route of producing what enthusiasts say they want, then they are going to end up the same size company as, e.g. DC Kits.

Hornby are a marketing organisation, and surely it's their challenge to create a market and fufil it. After all, they thought there was a market for a dodgy 0-4-0 Dock Authority shunter, an 0-4-0 steeple-cab electric shunter, and most recently a supposed class 06 in Virgin livery. Can't imagine many enthusiasts put any of them at the top of their wish-lists.

Let's put it this way. Right now I don't know that I need a class 13 shunter. But if Hornby produce one, I know that I'll be buying it, just because it's there and it's interesting!

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

I think the Class 13 has earned "cult" status among modellers in that there is a small but vocal demand for one, and a fair few have been converted from existing gronks. Nonetheless I don't think it has the commercial appeal for an RTR release from Hornby or Bachmann.

Reply to
Rich Mackin

"Steve W" wrote

Can't argue with that, and I can't say with hand on heart that I wouldn't consider one either, but equally so I'm more inclined to think that I'd consider one briefly and then discount it and hope for something more useful. My display cabinets are all full of stuff that was there and interesting, and I keep thinning them out all the time to make way for stuff that I think *may* be useful one day, and turns out not to be in the end.

I wish both Bachmann and Hornby would realise that all of these locos, shunters included, need something to pull. There's any number of different freight wagons I'd buy in bulk if they appeared on the market.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , Fil Downs writes

Well it's supposed to be representative of the South Wales valleys, from the mines to the docks, but I'm applying rule 1 (It's my railway and I'll run what I like :-)

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

In message , Fil Downs writes

Sounds like your layout is the same as mine but different.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

In message , Jane Sullivan writes

I forgot to mention that I'm also thinking of getting one of those nice big AD60 things that have been mentioned on here a few times.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

locos,

Yes, well said John, we all complain now about Lima but they did produce a selection of coaching / parcel stock along with some odd ball wagons to go with the loco's...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

"John Turner" wrote

You were about 600 yards from me when at the McDonalds! Should have called in. :-)

John.

:-) Not at Half 8 on a Friday night... I don't think I would have been very welcome!!!

Otherwise I would, and one day soon - WILL !

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

It's interesting discussing this but we won't know whether it's a commercial proposition or not without knowing how much it would cost Hornby to produce the alternative plastic pieces to replicate the "missing cab".

But they seem to be quite keen on producing "variants" of their steam locos at the moment, with differently-shaped chimneys and tenders, so it can't be too pricey.

I suppose the easiest thing would be for them to sell the "slave" unit (unmotorised) as a separate add-on, so the buyer of an 08 can later upgrade it - perhaps also supplying transfers to change the 08 number to a 13....

(ab)

"Never underestimate the stupidity of car drivers"

Reply to
ab

converted from

steam

There is more to a Master / Slave unit than just the absence of most of the cab area on the slave, if you just want it to look something like a class 13 then the conversion is easy but I suspect most people will want to go rivet counting...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::