Lima 0-4-0 Shunter

I am retired and acquired for my grandson a decrepit 7mm blue Lima 0-4-0 shunter in BR livery No. D2852. Could anyone provide me with info on the prototype it was based on and the source of photos that may be available.

KenU

Reply to
KenU

It's a repaint/recolour of a model made for the US market. Even there, I imagine it is a generalized design built around a mechanism from an Italian model.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

The motor itself is quite good, relative to the price. The problems are mostly from poor current collection and the plating wearing off the wheels after a lot of use.

Clean the wheels. Clean the wheel and axle wipers. Clean the commutator. Oil sparingly. Add lots of weight at the ends.

I cut off the body just ahead of the radiator and down the back of the cab, trimmed the chassis to suit, and added the bufferbeams with all the excess removed. After a respray, the loco looked more like - well something possible.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

"Gregory Procter" wrote It's a repaint/recolour of a model made for the US market. Even there, I

No, if you look carefully there are representations of metal plates on the body and all are written in forigen....even the US speek English!, so I think it may be continental....

Anyway, paint it green, fill in those small windows to the rear, add wasp stripes to cab and bonett with a red buffer beam and you have a nice 0-4-0 version of a loco not too far from an class 02 crossed with an 03.! I'll try to dig mine out and put some pictures somewhere... I even added a cab!

Andy CVMRD

CVMRD

There were some vacuum formed plastic kits (Highfield?) to turn these into a Sentinel shunter or a Wisbech and Upwell tram engine (the prototype for Toby). Depending on your grandson's age he might like the latter.

There have been other conversions described in the model press. Alan Wright did a side tank he used on h is O-gauge Inglenook Sidings layout, and there was an article in Model Railway News too many years ago for a Peckett 0-4-0ST.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

The Italians are well known for speaking Italian. Back when that model was designed their command of English was mostly limited to "Dollar" and "Sister".

Reply to
Gregory Procter

"Gregory Procter" wrote

Add "sheep" and you're describing a typical Kiwi - ooops, sorry! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I guess you're from one of those "coal" and "sister" regions.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

"Gregory Procter" wrote