LMS Jackshaft shunters

Sorry chaps - I thought the Jackshaft shunters built by the LMS in about 1944/45 became Class 11 - However I took a look on the net for photos of class 11 locos and non are Jackshaft types, although they are ex LMS engines.

Did the jackshaft type not last until TOPS? Did they predate the Class 11 type?

Confused of Hale

Reply to
Mike

Yes to both Qs.

Reply to
Rich Mackin

Thanks - Reaches for the Google button . . .

Reply to
Mike

Very few none BR period shunters gained a TOPS class, IIRC none ever carried such class numbers - most of the remaining loco's being culled in '71 -'72.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

The last of the jackshaft-type ex-LMS shunters were withdrawn around 1967/8- I remember seeing some in the Liverpool area around then. Quite a few went into WD service and were shipped to mainland Europe after the opening of the Second Front. The preserved example in the UK was brought back from either France or Belgium, I believe. There is still an example in Italy, operating on the 'private' line from Arezzo to Stia on the eastern edge of Tuscany. Remarkably, it's not their oldest loco, this honour being held by a couple of 1924 built electrics. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

Thanks chaps, bit outside my usual area of interest this one - If its OK with you Brian I'll quote your reply on the site, adds a bit of colour to a fairly thick spot of verbage.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

No problem Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

These 30 locos were numbered from 12003 and classified D3/7 in 1960.

Peter A

Reply to
peter abraham