Looking for picture of D5909

Good morning,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a picture of Baby Deltic D5909 in Rail Blue please?

I need to see the side which has the large grille with the diagonal strut at the left hand end.

Thanks

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Pearce

Not sure if the two pictures on this page will be of any use. The rearmost of the 2 Class 23s is in rail blue, however the angle is pretty acute. A better shot (if a bit small) can be seen in the left-hand sidebar. And this is actually of D5909 herself.

hth

Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

"Stuart Pearce" wrote

Almost certainly in green, but Published photographs:

D5909 - Stratford - 07/04/63 (P56, BR Colour Album/Jane's)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Thanks Clive and John - I'd already found the pictures that Clive was referring to, but sadly it's of the wrong side.

I'm just trying to ascertain where the numbers go - on the side I've got pictures of, there are numbers at both ends (quite unusual for a small engine) and just inboard of the doors (also quite unusual - blue locos with numbers both ends usually had them under the cab windows.)

One would assume that the other side is the same, but there's some kind of inspection cover in the way, exactly where I would expect the number to be.

The green locos had the numbers under the cab windows, so they're no help either - afaik only D5909 ever made it into corporate blue.

Never mind, I'll keep trying...

Thanks

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Pearce

Hi Stuart, I've found a picture of D5909 in Blue in an Ian Allan plans book "British Rail Mian-Line Diesels", and it's the side you want. Though the grille and inspection panel are at the far end in the photo, the number is exactly where you suggest. I 'think' it's completely within the top half of the inspection panel, but the definition of the panel edge isn't clear. I would offer to scan the image and send it, but I'm having problems with that particular piece of equipment. In case it helps, the ISBN of the book is ISBN 0 7110 0617 2, book was compiled by S.W. Stevens-Carter, drawings by R.S. Carter. The book was first published 1963, revised and revised 1975 (including the photo in question no doubt) and reprinted 1978. There may be later editions too, though I've not seen another copy in years, Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
William Davies

Hi Stuart. A Google search for D5909 pointed me to the following:

Seems to be what you're looking for!

John.

Reply to
John Lancaster

Aha. I never found that one :-)

Thanks to all who responded - I can finish this off now.

Best regards

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Pearce

Judging by this pic, wrong side or not, maybe it was lettered in the same style as certain class 40s - numbers inboard of all cab doors at around half-way up, and a double arrow on every nose side? EE Type 4s, I'm fairly sure, differed in lettering spec. slightly depending on whether it was Crewe or Derby that did the work (or am I thinking of another class??).

David E. Belcher

Reply to
David E. Belcher