Mainline spares

Here in NZ a minor ding or breakdown can take some Jap cars off the road for months! The likes of Honda make their spares so that aftermarket manufacturers have a difficult time, eg axle shafts and sockets with two splines filled, alternating every month or so, headlights with pegs to match body sockets etc. The parts have to match the chassis number. With such a small market and much the same range as other nations it just isn't economic to hold all the spares.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

OK , I capitulate: Jap = crap.

I have driven Opel Astras for the past 37 years and will not have a word said against them! My Renault Trafic is also 12 years old and still going strong.

Many of my models are at least 25 years old although I do like the Bachmann range ( few of which are in the present catalogue).

Reply to
Peter Abraham

I didn't say that - only their spares supply is crap.

We don't get those here - Holdens and Vauxhalls - something is probably the same but with different badges.

I had 1960s-70s Renaults - R8s, R8/10 auto and R12s. The R8 has to be my favourite car of all time (in memory :-)

Reply to
Greg Procter

There have been worse things in the car world! Mercedes did everything the hard way and charged back teeth for spares. My top gamme Volvo 760 cost 1000 GBP to service 15 years ago and yet several main dealerships could not remedy defects in the cruise control or air conditioning. I never did buy another one. Opel = Vauxhall = Bedford = GM = Isuzu, did GM take over Holden?

I equate DCC with Volvo, one control failure = death to the system!

Long live DC.

Reply to
Peter Abraham

Does anybody know of any model railway shops that might still carry spares for the Mainline Class 45 ?

Wilson

Reply to
Wilson.R.Adams

Holden has been GM since 1948 - I think there might have been an Aussie importer (of something else) taken over at that time but the cars are and always have been pure GM. I think the first one was a still-born US small car :-) design uprated for Aussie conditions. (I'm gonna have the Holden fans battering my door for that one)

The basic big Holden since has been Aussie designed since but their smaller models have been strengthened Opels ... with various motors. They tried to produce a 4 cylinder version of their six for the Opel'escue shell (Holden Misfire) but quickly bought Opel motors, then Izusu, then ... The little ones are rebadged Jap stuff.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Thanks for the help. I guess it was a waste of time asking a simple question. Since nobody bothered to reply.

Wilson

Reply to
Wilson.R.Adams

That's probably a No then, unless you wanted everyone to say they didn't.

Reply to
estarriol

As the gentleman seems a little upset, heres a positive 'no idea' from me :- Sorry, no idea.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"Wilson.R.Adams" wrote

No idea here Wilson - your best source of spares is probably going to be another similar loco, but whether you'll find one in Northern Ireland is a different matter.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Good Morning Wilson, Please do not get upset at the lack of negatives. Mainline is not supported and its fans have to innovate or cannibalise. It is not at all uncommon to get zero replies to supply, technical or operational questions. Nit picking is very popular, as is the indication of acquiring the latest cherry! A quick scan of the last n thousand posts will not reveal much on modelling, plenty of wit(?) and an amazing lack of patience with newcomers or novices in need of help.

Have a good day.

Peter A Montarlot

Reply to
Peter Abraham

Hi Peter, Thanks for the advice. I just thought I'd ask a simple question, and hoped someone might come up with an answer. But as it turned out I struck lucky on ebay in picking up a class 45 for spares. Problem is, this one is a runner, it just needs some of the wheels replaced. The only part I was looking for was the cogs to connect the wheels to the motor, so as I could get my class 45 running again. Still, it will be broken up for spares to keep my three other class 45's running when the need arise's.

Wilson

Reply to
Wilson Adams

Thanks John,

Got it sorted. The next time I'll check out ebay.

Wilson

Ps; not able to make it over in July, but should be over either late August or early September.

Reply to
Wilson Adams

"Wilson Adams" wrote

They way things are going mate I'd bring a brolly and some wellies.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote

And a wet-suit. ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I'll tell you an old-fashioned story That Grandfather used to relate, Of a joiner and building contractor; 'Is name, it were Sam Oglethwaite.

In a shop on the banks of the Irwell, Old Sam used to follow 'is trade, In a place you'll have 'eard of, called Bury; You know, where black puddings is made.

One day, Sam were filling a knot 'ole Wi' putty, when in thro' the door Came an old feller fair wreathed wi' whiskers; T'ould chap said 'Good morning, I'm Noah.'

Sam asked Noah what was 'is business, And t'ould chap went on to remark, That not liking the look of the weather, 'E were thinking of building an Ark.

'E'd gotten the wood for the bulwarks, And all t'other shipbuilding junk, And wanted some nice Bird's Eye Maple To panel the side of 'is bunk.

Now Maple were Sam's Monopoly; That means it were all 'is to cut, And nobody else 'adn't got none; So 'e asked Noah three ha'pence a foot.

'A ha'penny too much,' replied Noah 'A Penny a foot's more the mark; A penny a foot, and when t'rain comes, I'll give you a ride in me Ark.'

But neither would budge in the bargain; The whole daft thing were kind of a jam, So Sam put 'is tongue out at Noah, And Noah made Long Bacon* at Sam

In wrath and ill-feeling they parted, Not knowing when they'd meet again, And Sam had forgot all about it, 'Til one day it started to rain.

It rained and it rained for a fortni't, And flooded the 'ole countryside. It rained and it kept' on raining, 'Til the Irwell were fifty mile wide.

The 'ouses were soon under water, And folks to the roof 'ad to climb. They said 'twas the rottenest summer That Bury 'ad 'ad for some time.

The rain showed no sign of abating, And water rose hour by hour, 'Til the only dry land were at Blackpool, And that were on top of the Tower.

So Sam started swimming to Blackpool; It took 'im best part of a week. 'Is clothes were wet through when 'e got there, And 'is boots were beginning to leak.

'E stood to 'is watch-chain in water, On Tower top, just before dark, When who should come sailing towards 'im But old Noah, steering 'is Ark.

They stared at each other in silence, 'Til Ark were alongside, all but, Then Noah said: 'What price yer Maple?' Sam answered 'Three ha'pence a foot.'

Noah said 'Nay; I'll make thee an offer, The same as I did t'other day. A penny a foot and a free ride. Now, come on, lad, what does tha say?'

'Three ha'pence a foot,' came the answer. So Noah 'is sail 'ad to hoist, And sailed off again in a dudgeon, While Sam stood determined, but moist.

Noah cruised around, flying 'is pigeons, 'Til fortieth day of the wet, And on 'is way back, passing Blackpool, 'E saw old Sam standing there yet.

'Is chin just stuck out of the water; A comical figure 'e cut, Noah said: 'Now what's the price of yer Maple?' Sam answered: 'Three ha'pence a foot.'

Said Noah: 'Ye'd best take my offer; It's last time I'll be hereabout; And if water comes half an inch higher, I'll happen get Maple for nowt.'

'Three ha'pence a foot it'll cost yer, And as fer me,' Sam said, 'don't fret. The sky's took a turn since this morning; I think it'll brighten up yet.'

[Marriott Edgar]
Reply to
kim

Great stuff!

Reply to
Peter Abraham

snip

orefer Albert and the Lion, but yep great stuff.

Reply to
estarriol