Model train to raise funds

.... and on that point

Anthony Gormley's One & Other

Going to volunteer 'Jerry' ?

The Baby Website . Com has just released a study of the funniest names in the UK which include :-

Terry Bull

Justin Case

Mary Christmas

Paige Turner

Stan Still

How about 'Jerry' Cann ... he's always attempting to fuel arguments on this group

Chris

It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.

Reply to
chris.brett58

I remember my first car, a 1959 DAF 600. A predecessor of the DAF 66. Sure they ran backwards as slow as forwards. About 100 km/h. A 2-cylinder boxer engine of 600 cm² . As much as a BMW motorcycle.. What more could you expect ?

Reply to
Wim van Bemmel

: : I remember my first car, a 1959 DAF 600. A predecessor of the DAF 66. : Sure they ran backwards as slow as forwards. About 100 km/h. A

2-cylinder : boxer engine of 600 cm² . As much as a BMW motorcycle.. What more could : you expect ? :

They never had a 'Boxer' engine (few if any car has had such a piston/cylinder configuration), surely you mean a (horizontally) apposed engine - how many Boxers stand with their back to each other - now a deltic engine (back to railways) has a true Boxer configuration of pistons that share a common cylinder whilst the air/fuel mixture are compressed by the pistons moving towards each other and the power stroke is caused by the pistons being forced apart by the expanding gasses. It's a common mistake...

Reply to
Jerry

$194$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xsall.nl...

eg

It is a common mistake .... as you are referring to a 'Opposed piston engine' ...... 'Boxer engines' got their name from the way each pair of pistons moves simultaneously in & out rather than alternately.

Don't Boxer engines have a great unique sound ?

Chris

It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.

Reply to
chris.brett58

: eg

What does that URL prove, it's a web page about toy cars!

: It is a common mistake .... as you are referring to a : 'Opposed piston engine' ...... 'Boxer engines' got their : name from the way each pair of pistons moves : simultaneously in & out rather than alternately.

Thanks for agreeing with me, what you describe above is a horizontally opposed engine.

The word 'Boxer' is now many used as a marketing term, hence why people now confuse a common 'Beetle' type engine (quite literally in the case of Porsche!) with a true boxer engine.

: : Don't Boxer engines have a great unique sound ?

Err, not really. many actually sound quite 'lumpy' due to balancing issues, the most refined engine sounds tend to come from ~90 deg Vee 6 (or greater) engines as they tend to be better balanced than either inline or flat engines. Which is quite possible why the Deltic engine sounds so unique, whilst in effect being three flat (and true) boxer engines they are assembled into a set of three Vee's.

Reply to
Jerry

Reply to
chris.brett58

Bit of advice for you 'Jerry' .... keep quiet and let people just think your a fool rather than open your mouth and prove it beyond reasonable doubt ! Always worked for me !

Opposed Piston Engine Animation

Boxer Engine Animation
For from being 'lumpy' a boxer engine is naturally balanced because the pistons act as counterweights for one another so it is a very smooth running engine as clearly shown in the animation.

Don't you find it strange 'Jerry' that VW, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, Testarossa & Subaru ALL call theirs a Boxer engine ?

So what are you saying now ... boxers have 3 arms ? My boxers got four legs but ......

Please keep adding your comments 'Jerry' as I quite enjoy pointing out your mistakes :-)))))))

Chris

It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.

Reply to
chris.brett58

: Opposed Piston Engine Animation :

: Boxer Engine Animation :
So you believe your Youtube videos, I'll carry on believing my motor engineering text books, first rule for researchers - never believe anything on the internet unless you can back it up in a print...

The first URL is a true boxer [1], the second is horizontally opposed as found in VW Beetles and Porches etc;

(Wow, I'm actually citing a Wikipedia URLs!)

And could this be why the confusion has set in amongst the boy-racers of the world who look lovingly at the marketing broachers and dream until they are wet in their pants, and those who can actually waste their money like to use 'buzz' words to impress those even dumber than themselves;

Note the second model down in each table. Marketing men use clever words that people like you then pick up on and start using in an incorrect way! Bit like the way that every steam loco is a "Thomas" to parents who know nothing about railway locomotives...

[1] and is how the pistons act in the Deltic engine cylinders
Reply to
Jerry

First rule for humans ........ believe 95% of what you see and only 5% of what you read. In the case of anything you spout make that 0.5%.

Please carry on believing your motor engineering text books, they are wrong, but please carry on believing. A text book ? I would have thought all of you books had just pictures. I fortunately do not need a book, just my Dad, who was an automotive engineer.

So now your saying all parents who know nothing about railway locomotives are idiots. It must be VERY lonely for you being so 'perfect'

? I knew you were a little slow but I now find out you can't spell. 'Boxer' is the name of a engine type whilst 'Boxster' is the model type of the car. Do they let you out on your own ?

You Tube ? I even found a video of you .....

Chris

It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.On 2 Mar, 22:46, "Jerry" wrote:

Reply to
chris.brett58
0.5%. : : Please carry on believing your motor engineering text books, they are : wrong,

You wanker, they are standard text books for those working in the motor engineering trade, written by people who have worked in the industry (at all levels) and taught by people who have worked at all levels - you carry on believing your YouTube vids - any idiot can put up a YouTube vid, the same can't be said about academic text books...

:

? I knew you were a : little slow but I now find out you can't spell. 'Boxer' is the name : of a engine type whilst 'Boxster' is the model type of the car. Do : they let you out on your own ?

Whhhoooosssshhhhh :~(

Reply to
Jerry

Let me guess 'Jerry' Cann ....... you got these 'books' from a car boot sale or second hand book stall so you could Troll people on a car related discussion group !

I've just had a terrible thought .... they don't let you drive a motor vehicle as well !!!!!!

Can I just clear something up for you 'Jerry' Cann .....

An Opposed Piston Engine AND a Boxer Engine are BOTH types of Horizontally-Opposed Engines. Has the second hand book stall also got a dictionary you could use ? A book on 'good manners' might also help you. I an certain the rest of the group would like a rest from your rants.

It's sometimes difficult to tell 'Jerry' Cann if you are being plain & simply offensive and / or rude OR it's your condition and / or medication.

Kind regards

Chris

It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.

Reply to
chris.brett58

No, they were the set textbook when I did my motor engineering Apprenticeship, what is more all my lecturers were ex motor manufacturing R&D engineers so I think they will have known had the textbook been wrong - next?!

: : An Opposed Piston Engine AND a Boxer Engine are BOTH types of : Horizontally-Opposed Engines.

No they are not, the HO engine have separate cylinders opposite each other whilst sharing the same crankshaft, a true boxer have two crankshafts and two pistons that share the same cylinder. Names for block layout comes from of the cylinder and not piston configuration. By your logic the BR Class 55s have horizontally-opposed Engines rather than "Deltic"...

Reply to
Jerry

: : No, they were the set textbook

TextbookS, before some troll decids to have a swipe.

It's been a long day of typing, tired fingers....

Reply to
Jerry

So 'Jerry' Cann, to support your mistake, you now want the group to believe you were a motor engineering apprentice, I assume you failed your apprenticeship !

" ..... all my lecturers were ex motor manufacturing R&D engineers so I think they will have known had the textbook been wrong ...... " That's what I have been attempting to get across to you, people do make mistakes, even the ones who write books and teach lecturers.

Who was your apprenticeship with Corgi ? :-))))))))))))))

" It's been a long day of typing, tired fingers.... " Got an idea for you 'Jerry' Cann, put a hammer through you PC and give yourself a rest and give everyone else on this group a rest from your pointless Troll antics. Kind regards Chris

It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.

Reply to
chris.brett58

$0$194$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xsall.nl...

Going to dispute the BBC's information too 'Jerry' Cann ?

Chris

It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.

Reply to
chris.brett58

:

Going to dispute the BBC's information too

What do you think;

What is h2g2?

h2g2 stands for 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' - an unconventional guide to Life, The Universe and Everything. This site - the Earth Edition of the Guide - is an encyclopaedic project contributed to by people from all over the world. h2g2.com was launched in April 1999, and the BBC took over the running of the site in February 2001 as part of a drive to develop new and innovative online services.

Anyone can write for the Guide, which already has thousands of entries on all sorts of subjects. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Meaningful collaboration is encouraged and users help one another, feeding back on what others have written using a peer review system. The result is a living, breathing guide that's constantly being updated and revised, driven forward by the very people who use it.

If you want to argue the f*cking toss then go and find a proper reference work, a technical publication, a textbook or two... First rule for researchers, as any researcher will know, never trust any internet sources unless backed up by a printed/academic source.

Reply to
Jerry

Indeed, but not though 4 or 5 (plus) editions [1], are you seriously suggesting that a TECHNICAL publication would remain a

*set book* if it's academic credibility had been called into question?! If you do then you are dafter than a first thought. :~( [1] my book was the 4th edition, not imprint, *edition*.

Any fool can place content on the web, including you, for all we know you could be citing your own work. You really have no idea of academic research have you, your motto seems to be - "It's on the Internet so it must be true" - OTOH my motto is, 'It's on the Internet so it's could be wrong!'... At one time, when Internet access was limited to Govt. education and businesses, the Internet was a day-facto source for researchers but since the ISP/dial-up revolution of the mid 1990s it's become more of a hindrance, often leading people down wrong paths or even into a muddy quagmire of ignorant/intentionally wrong facts.

: : Who was your apprenticeship with Corgi ?

No, ex Morris and Austin (later BMC/BLMC/BL), ex Roots Group, and a couple of ex indi' design/test companies IIRC.

Reply to
Jerry

: : No, ex Morris and Austin (later BMC/BLMC/BL), ex Roots Group, and : a couple of ex indi' design/test companies IIRC. :

Sorry, that was who the lectures had worked for.

Reply to
Jerry