MTH Sound

Sure, but if you've already got a DCC layout,(as I do) why not take the DCC route? Each train could have its own announcement and it could be automated. And I don't see how you can tell the difference between the sound coming from the loco vs. tiny speakers in the station when they are all located at the platform. I guess its quite an advance on clockwork trains.:-)

Reply to
Rob

John Sullivan wrote:-

Sound is an integral part of the character of certain locomotives, the GM66, Class 40 and ex-WD being extraordinary examples. Without it they are like so many others. As a general rule we only animate the locomotives on our layouts and by default the wagons and coaches they pull. We don't usually animate the vehicles, people, buildings, rivers and in most cases - although not yours - they would be drowned out by the sound of locomotives anyway. There is no reason why a sound fitted loco could not be used in conjunction with a conventional background sound recording.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Mostly, at through stations anyway, the next train announcement is made before it arrives. And IMHO you have tiny speakers in the loco, a speaker in the station can be much bigger and hence clearer. You don't need to use the DCC to have different annoucements for each train or to automate them, in fact it probably just makes it harder. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

People are already supplying sound modules you can use for these other locations. See:

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

"John Sullivan" wrote Not the animals in the fields and the birds in the sky. Not the river flowing gently downstream under that wonderful bridge you spent a couple of weeks building.

Bridge? Are we talking about the creaks and groans or do bridges make some other noise that I have never heard?

Suppose it's like my previous post. Once you start fitting a feature, where do you stop?

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

"Keith Norgrove" wrote connecting up to a tape deck is much easier

I think in this day and age, I would go for say an MP3 player, or at least burn a CD with the tracks on and then you can choose which announcement you want and when....

Just my 2 penneth

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

In message , Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept. writes

No, we're talking about the village brook a-gurgling under the bridge.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Tape deck? Solid state vox chip with selectable messages - very easy.

Whichever, I fancy no sounds - which I have... job done

Reply to
Uncle Wobbly

Why not go for the model with a DC/DCC sound decoder factory installed? Eureka models

is offering this as an option in their NSWAD60. Then you can run all options. If you don't like the sound, turn the sound off. If you have a DC or DCC layout, your model runs out of the box.

Reply to
Terry Flynn

"Terry Flynn" wrote

If you'd read the rest of this thread you'd already know my argument against going along that route. Don't propose to repeat it.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Flynn is only mentioning the Eureka Models Garratt in order to ingratiate himself with the proprietor of the company. It's quite interesting to see him do that, given his oft-stated views on DCC and sound...

Reply to
Mark Newton