OT FTP recommendations?

Just got word back from the chap uploading my website - Quote: its all there, all 31 mb unwuote

Sadly there was over 40mb on the disk I sent him

Has anyone any recommendations for FTP software for large sites?

I believe all the text files are there but if there are pics missing I appologise,

Reply to
Mike
  1. CUTE FTP from
    easy to use as your experience with FTP/building website grows it remains useful ... that is you tend not to grow out of it.
  2. ACE FTP Pro ... like 'Cute' but with bells and whistles ... from
    Get a good HTML/webdesign package that has a FTP client built in (Dreamweaver springs to mind ... if you've got a wheelbarrow full of spare money lying around) :-)

I've used Cute the longest ... various versions for around 6 years ... Dreamweaver for around 5 and Ace for 2 ... (all still in use and used depending on what I'm doing)

Don't advise any particular free FTP client as they tend to feed you adverts (slows the FTP down and distracting) or contain spyware (Nasty!) ... may be a good free one around but having had the benefit of the above never bother looking to hard.

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Wilson

WS_FTP_Le if you can find it still. By Ipswich, the Le version was a freeby and I am still using the copy I grabbed years ago. No popups, easy to set up, work through my firewalls and home and office.....

JohnE

Reply to
John.E

FTPExplorer (again if you can still find it) is free and has an explorer style interface.

Reply to
tiM

Yes, sorry forgot about that, used to use it before I got "Cute" ... interface is a bit "dull" but like you say works as advertised. A definite exception to my earlier comments re "freebies".

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Mmmm, made me wake up tiM. You could always ftp:// inside M$ internet Hexplorer too. Just been playing and it works.

JohnE

Reply to
John.E

Chris, I know what you mean about freeware. On the whole it just clutters up your machine with unwanted tut or else it's half crippled to the point of being little or no use :-(

JohnE

Reply to
John.E

"tiM" wrote

Yup, superb piece of software; used it to put over 1Gb on line with my three sites.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Filezilla!

I use it to transfer gigabytes of data via FTP and have no hassles - and its free. No spyware, malware, adverts or other associated garbage. Also supports SFTP etc. etc.

Additionally, since its OpenSource, you can download the source to check (should you desire!).

Cheers

Alex

Reply to
Alex Harrington

Also, bare in mind that if you are uploading text files (HTML included) to a Unix host, they will be marginally smaller due to the way Unix and its variants handle carriage return/linefeed - not 10MB different though!

Alex

Reply to
Alex Harrington

I use Flashfxp

A fantastic bit of software.

Pete

Reply to
mutley

WS-FTP LE (simple, freeware) is readily available - just Google for it.

Reply to
MartinS

Thanks gents. I have always used WS_TP and the charity I work for often supplies FTP explorer (as it is one of the few that works at all with a blind persons screen reader).

I have never had a problem with either, but I have never tried to upload 40mb in one go (I still only have a dial up connection).

Could be the lad's system - he is somewhat fond of 'new and improved' and 'current version' software - personally I prefer clinging to the trailing edge where all the faults are at least documented.

I'll take a look at the suggested alternatives - Thanks for taking the trouble to reply

Reply to
Mike