The price of our pleasures!

Or "lumpenproletariat", coined by Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels in 1845.
--
Martin S.

"Riddles" wrote

OK thanks for that; I stand corrected.
John.

The Hornby (ex-TriAng?) LMS mail coach has central corridor connections.
--
Martin S.

I don't think the current one dates from Tri-ang days, the one I had was shorter but did have offset corridor connections.
quickest way to find a pic of one was on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIANG-HORNBY-R323-OPERATING-ROYAL-MAIL-COACH-SET-MINT_W0QQitemZ220481666614QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090917?IMSfp=TL090917224003r23709
G.harman
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

The Hornby one is on the standard 57ft chassis, but has the same or similar mechanical actuation to the Tri-ang, as opposed to the electrical operation of the 3-rail Hornby Dublo version.
http://flickr.com/photos/17889585@N03/3988024636 / http://plymouth.gumtree.com/plymouth/68/47527468.html
--
Martin S.

I see what you mean now - I was trying to picture a corridor connection mounted diagonally. Only Marty Feldmann could hope to see both connections at the same time!
Greg.P.

I don't know about the UK, but in Germany it's been estimated that most railway models are bought for either "the future layout" or for the display cabinet. If they are for the display cabinet then the loco will be the focus and any unpowered stock will simply be in a supporting role. As the display cabinet fills the owner will stop buying the supporting rolling stock. (well that's my opinion)
Greg.P.
"Greg.Procter" wrote

I suppose that's feasible, but certainly the model train enthusaists I know in Germany all have working layouts, albeit most of them still using Marklin's antiquated 3-rail set-up.
There's evidence to suggest that the same happens here in the UK. I remember one of the major loco kit manufacturers claiming that 90% of their kit output never got constructed, and certainly Hornby refer to their customer base as 'collectors' rather than 'modellers'.
John.

Judging by pictures on ebay, of those that are 10% shouldnt have been. Reputedly of some manufacturers eg Jidenco they couldnt be. But for some of us now its great, a ready supply of un, part and almost built kits of all types, sometimes at reasonable prices.
cheers, Simon

Even some of the "reputable" ones. A Crownline "complete" kit is a case in point. it seemed to be a collection of bits for imroving a Hornby RTR model with a few extra bits to make it "complete". Never mind the usual "wheels, gears and motors" not included, there was no thought whatsoever given to actually motorising the resulting construction.
MBQ
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 10:12:32 +1300, "Greg.Procter"

I know of one model shop that has a large cupboard upstairs full (and I mean full) of locos and coaches purchased and paid for some future layout.. For whatever reason the owner hasn't even taken a lot of his collection home!
Nigel
"Nigel Emery" wrote in message wrote:

Don't want the wife to know

One of the benefits of modelling in N gauge is that you can hide the models in your pocket!
Fred X
"Fred X" wrote

Indeed, but there are few other benefits! ;-)
John.
: : "Fred X" wrote : : > One of the benefits of modelling in N gauge is that you can hide the : > models in your pocket! : : Indeed, but there are few other benefits! ;-) :
Especially for the trader, in fact being able to fit into a pocket could well be a distinct disadvantage to the trader... :~(
"Sailor" wrote

Don't ever go to Dublin then!
Two or three days there in October made me grateful to be a subject of Herr Brown.
Beer - GBP5.00 a pint; fish & chips GBP12.95; Litre of Famous Grouse whisky - GBP32.00, and don't even dream of buying a house there without a serious Euro Lottery win! My prices assume 1GBP = 1 Euro, which isn't far off the mark (not Deutch Mark either).
John.

Dont go on a real train either. Sure NuneatonEuston return used to cost less than GBP50 for peak fare and less than GBP35 for off peak 10 years ago. Now its over GBP110 or GBP 65 respectively. By having a go at the lottery of which train to go for (travel time and legth of journey time and change at Rugby) got it to GBP80. 2 of those and could have a very nice sound chipped loco !
Cheers, Simon

VIA Rail between Toronto and Montreal is trying to compete with Megabus (Stagecoach) and their fares as low as $1 for early booking, by offering up to half off rail travel for advance booking.
--
Martin S.

Cheapest Toronto-Montreal (335 mi.) return rail fare is about GBP105.
In the 1960s I used to travel between Bradford and Oxford (via Birmingham and Banbury or via Penistone and Sheffield) for 52/6 single (2.625).
--
Martin S.

MartinS wrote:

Um, that's what - about 160 miles?
And how much did you earn in a typical week back then?
wolf k.