The price of our pleasures!

Struck gold at GCR today - Register of West Coast Joint Stock by Casserley and Millard (HMRS). First mail train on West Coast (LNWR) in 1859 but their TPO's only ran to Carlisle. In 1879 LNWR and Calidonian agreed to provide sufficient vehicles for through running. Oldest vehicle included built 1860. Although in 1885 the post office complained about coaches on other services being a bit old - one of which had been built in 1848.In 1864 George Landsdowne patented his improved gangway (PO type side one) and PO had to pay 14 shillings per gangway till patent expired in 1878. So now we move the offset gangway back to before 1864.

Few lines later they mention that the first LNWR gangway connections for pairs of vehicles (dining cars, saloons etc) were offset initially but they were found to be inconvenient and soon after central connections were built instead.

So Greg, will that do ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

OK, so PO corridor connections predate passenger corridor connections!

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Plus there is no justification for thinking PO offset corridors for security reasons :-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Congratulations on a very decent piece of research. Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Very true in 1848-1900. However, there were over 120 years of PO vehicles, a period during which someone, somewhere in the PO might have had a rethink.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Hornby's R4155 LMS TPO (model of a prototype dating from 1931) has central corridor connections. Is this correct?

Were TPOs (with centre connections) used with LNER corridor tenders? If so, were loco crews allowed to pass through?

Reply to
MartinS

Thanks, the book was a lucky find at a very good price GBP6 and filled a hole in my modest library, am looking for an equivalent on ordinary coaches next.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Would that be on the lines of :- Manager - Why dont we offset gangways on TPO carraiges to make them more secure from passengers ? Worker - We do offset gangways on TPO's. Manager - Why ? Worker - Dunno (and not bothered), praps cos we've done it that way for the last 100 years. Manager - Right then will write article for internal magazine stating security to be the reason.

:-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

No I'm sorry, all LMS TPO's were offset corridor connections.

Sorry, dont have much info on LNER practices. There are several photos of LNER TPO's built around 1930 that lasted well into 1960's in a Backtrack article by Phillip Mallard (Nov 1994). All have offset connections. You might start by checking if there were any TPO's on the LNER service with corridor tenders ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

LOL!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

I believe that TPOs did actually stop enroute to Scotland from London so the need would not arise. The corridor tenders were built with non stop runs in mind and the need to change crews on the run.

Peter A

Reply to
Sailor