Best Rated threads in ⚡ Welding Forumsshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Gary Woodford article (Southern Steel / Milwaukee Iron)
Several of you recently discussed the passing of Gary Woodford, the gentle bearded fellow on the Discovery Channel show Southern Steel.) The local paper here just wrote another article about Gary:
2
2

What is a "hobart digital 2000"?
wonder if this is perhaps a wire feed that can be used with a CC power source. Just wondering. i eBay Mobile
1
1

Brazing or welding thick copper?
I will be making a gate for the entrance to a house and will need to join some thick copper rectangular bar. The 0.5" x 1" 110 copper bar is for the gate frame and the infill of the gate will mostly...
18
18

Thermal Arc 300s questions
I have the opportunity to buy a Thermal Arc 300S power supply unit (no leads or torch) for $450. I'd like to learn TIG, and this looks like it might be a good opportunity, but I don't have 3 phase...
4
4

Photos of my inert gas setup
am thinking of doing something extra to protect the regulator, maybe I should make some guard around it... i Argon tank setup for TIG welding
14
14

Shielding Gas Trade Name vs Composition
I was just transfering some information I have on different gases trade name and composition. Some informationn is missing or is in conflict with various sources; Blueshield 3 in australia is...

Fluxcore: 75/25 or CO2
Rod: 20-25 years ago CO2 ruled the shops. Now, 75/25 has replaced CO2. Which would you say gives better penetration?
18
18

How much power does a welder use
I have a Kemppi Master 1400 Stick welder that I'd like to be able to use aboard my boat I have a 2400w inverter fitted that I think is a square wave, might be modified square wave. or... I do have...
6
6

Welding SS to CRS
I thought there was a post on this recently but I can't find it, so here goes. I'm mounting two 10" wheels to the rear of my engine hoist, using 3/4" crs for the axles. My design requires welding the...
5
5

Thermal Arc 185 Plug?
I just ordered a new Thermal Arc 185, and I should get it sometime next week. I'm wondering if I will be able to plug it in when I get it. In other words will the plug on the machine be compatible...
11
11

AWS D10.4-86R
I was just reading through the D 10.4 (recommended practices for austenitic chromium-nickel stainless steel piping and tubing) In paragraph 8.2 it refers to the proper technique for the use of SMAW...
3
3

Auto-darkening helmet
I've seen guys take a piece of heavy cotton and secure it over the top of the helmet, down around the two plastic tensioning nuts on the sides. The cloth hangs down over the back of your head and...
16
16

shielding gas piping
Has anyone any expereince at plumbing shielding gas around a shop? We intend to run 3/4 pipe which I figure is plenty big enough. About what pressure would we set to feed our flowmeters. We should not...
12
12

clarke spool gun welder
Has anyone here ever used a Clarke 180 amp spool gun welder? I am currently using a Lincoln sp-170 and it does a great job with aluminum but the feeding problems are driving me crazy. The clarke...
3
3

Ernie's Notching Grinder
Elsewhere I see Ernie Leimkuhler's use of a right angle grinder to grind the sides of tubing in forming a fishmouth joint. I have in the past inverted my circular saw, mounted it under a heavy sheet...
2
2

Setting Invertec V205 for welding aluminium plate of tickness mm.1.5
I declare beforehand that I am not practice, my problem is that I need to prepare some aluminium boxes of tickness of mm.1.5,so after cutting the plate I have to bend it and to weld the four corners....

Flashback Arrestors
A local welding outlet sold me a pair of flashback arrestors with a 9/16th thread. I explained it was for a Port a Torch cart and when I got home the threads did not match. Is it safe to add the...
3
3

How to get 110 VAC 30-40Amps or 220VAC anywhere.
Here's how to get either 110VAC 30AMPS or a 220VAC circuit from 2 110VAC extension cords. (no O-scope required) Take two beefy 12Ga extension cords and plug them into 2 receptacles in different rooms....
19
19

Welding "Black Iron" Pipe
I want to build a custom lumber rack for my pick-up truck, and the most easily available material for the job that I can think of is the so-called "black iron" pipe used for plumbing natural gas...
5
5

Aluminum Alloy on Truck Dump Beds?
Anyone here know what is typically used on aluminum dump beds? This is a 12yard (approx) dump body with a fifth wheel in BAD need of repair. Just need an idea of what sheet material to order. Thanks...
5
5