thundertiger4u.com

2k extra RPM equates to a hell of a lot more performance! I'd tolerate a little more noise for the extra grunt.
Reply to
Poxy

I'm a TT fan, have many of 'em. But, the Webra speed 50 IMHO is better, yes, $50 better. mk

Reply to
MK

The additional 2K of performance is precisely why the GMS is louder than the OS. You can't make more power without generating more pressure. More pressure being generated, with all else being equal, means more noise.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I agree with MK, but it is becoming more and more difficult to quantify exactly why as time progresses.

I guess it is because Webra can generate fantastic power, while still retaining its easy going nature when it comes to throttling and staying running once started.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Well, we've been shopping for a car for the wife. I've been trying to come up with an analogy to explain why Thunder Tiger isn't considered a top tier engine maker, and I think I understand what you're saying.

O.S. and Webra are like Toyota and Honda while Thunder Tiger is like Hyundai. Toyota and Honda were much earlier to market with good cars that improved with regard to quality, safety, and reliability over the years. Hyundai came along much later and developed (first bad and then) good products that have also improved significantly while trailing slightly behind Toyota and Honda in terms of ergonomics and innovation. Now in 2006, the new Sonata looks and feels exactly like the 2006 Accord. It is reliable, stylish, and equal in reliability. It is less expensive than the Accord as well.

The difference? Honda did the work while Hyundai chased them while playing catchup. Folks would rather buy the Honda for setting the benchmark rather than chasing it. Like an O.S. engine versus a Thunder Tiger, the Honda will enjoy better resale value versus a Hyundai because of a history of quality and value.

If you hate imported cars or you haven't seen the 2006 Sonata, my analogy may seem absurd. I think I'm on the right track with this, however. Is it fair to say that O.S. is the innovator while Thunder Tiger is a top shelf imitator, and that's why some of you guys feel they're not equal?

Reply to
Ed Paasch

Not a bad comparison! Wish me luck, the wife wants a Corvette! mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

A very good analogy, Ed.

Your choice of the word "feel" is appropriate also and it reveals a lot about why we are grasping at straws in trying to provide an example that is agreeable to all.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I think it's a bit extreme to try and compare something with the complexity of a car to something as simple as a model engine ! Seriously.... look at the component count and styling of a car compared to a glow engine. So lets get real !

I seem to remember reading that the chief designer for O.S. engines had a spat with the company and took himself off to Thunder Tigre where he applied the same superb skills that he had shown in his previous employment.

That would imply that ,design wise, there was not a lot to choose between the two... unless he surpassed himself at TT. Machining wise I sure can't see any real difference between the two engines.

Is it not that some people feel more reassured by a brand that is `perceived' to be better in some way ? I guess it's the herd mentality.

Reg

Reply to
tux_powered

The reason ACE hobby is passed over is because they have too many lazy slaggards working for them. They have gotten better since TT bought them out, but still have a long ways to go.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

Absolutely - you hit the nail on the head. CNC equipment is a cheap deal today, anyone can afford it, especially a larger company - add a programmer to the list, and anyone can turn out a competitive, high quality product. If you copy a major competitors design, you drop the R&D costs.

Reply to
zara

Buy it for her - than drive the shit out of it.

Reply to
zara

I asked some folks I'm acquainted with at a couple of the local hobby stores, and both locations confirmed that ACE is a pain to deal with. Hopefully some dealer service initiatives can spur better distribution of their products.

Reply to
Ed Paasch

No argument here, tux_powered. I knew it wasn't the best analogy, but most all of us drive cars and I spent all day yesterday shopping for them. Ed Cregger thought that it was a pretty good explanation, so I'm satisfied. I think I know now what he was trying to express.

Reply to
Ed Paasch

UPS just delivered my parts order from

They got it to me a day earlier than expected! Now I can go fly my Giles 202 EP Profile tomorrow.

Anyway, this thread got a bit sidetracked while we discussed engines in particular. My initial point was that Thunder Tiger ARFs (glow and electric) kick ass too, and I mentioned where to find them.

Reply to
Ed Paasch

you might post a report on that plane............ mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

"The Wife" also occasionally reads your posts and YES she does want a corvette! It would make a SUPER Christmas present don't ya think?? ; ) ck

Reply to
MK

I don't think OS two stroke engines are as good as the present TT engines. Though the TT engins have gone to nickle, they don't have peeling problems. The newer TT engines have had less problems, not including the carb problems in the heli engines. The newer TT engines are new designs, from the same designer who used to work at OS, not a clone anymore.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

Hehe, by coincidence I did. It's about 20 threads up above this one by my count.

See "Thunder Tiger Giles 202 EP Profile" for your reading pleasure.

For some reason, a report about a cool new electric foamy doesn't generate any apparent interest or comments, but if zara tells somebody to lick donkey balls the thread will get 85 replies. Go figure?

Reply to
Ed Paasch

There is no performance difference between OS and TT except that TT never had peeling liners!

The Webra is a different animal, though. It is a lot more powerful then most other sport engines.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

How could they be equal in power when the GMS revs about 2K higher?

All of the tests I have seen show the GMS to be much more powerful.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh