DFX problem

I recently tried to save a drawing as a DFX, and encountered the following when I tried to open it subsequently.
Invalid anonymous block *E45 on line 32982.
Invalid or incomplete DXF input -- drawing discarded.
I am running AutoCAD 2004, and I saved it as a AutoCAD 12 DFX file. This is the first time I have ever used the DFX format. Am I doing something wrong, or, is there a way to fix this? I still have the file as a working DWG, but I need it as DFX.
Thanks
Mathew
Try purging the drawing.....assuming that is still done in ACAD '04.

is
wrong,
but
purging worked in that I now have a DFX, but most of my ellipses and arcs are turned into zig zags. Does DFX not accept Ellipses?

following