regarding opening any file

when ever i go to may tool bar icon for opening any the file , instead of asking of serch box it asks for a link explaining the location of
the file , iam fed up of this difficulty , even i cannont save as my file as it asks for a link, apart from it when ever i select few objects one by one it deselects the previous one .plss help

Check your FILEDIA system variable for the file open problem. Type FILEDIA at the command line and make sure it's ON.
For the select problem, check your PICKADD system variable. Type PICKADD at the command line and make sure it also is ON.

BKT has a good answer. However, for the person I most recently helped, a full uninstall and reinstall did the trick for them. I hope you don't have to go that far, but it might be necessary.
Bill DeShawn http://my.sterling.net/~bdeshawn

Good point, Bill. I should have mentioned that, when more than one variable seems to have gotten changed, sometimes it's due to an errant lisp program, but you should be ready to do a reinstall in case something ended up getting corrupted.