Latest threads in ⏣ Metalworking Craftshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Scott's eyes
The result of Scott's eye checkup on Monday is that he is going blind in his left eye. They can't do anything for it. He is going to have cataracts out of the right eye. They will put a strong lens in...
1
1

Cutting a recess in HSS
Recess may not be the correct description. I am trying to find out how I would cut a semicircle in a piece of HSS. I want a 1/8" or 3/16" done. The piece of steel is 7" long and 1/4 X 1/4 square. The...
2
2

Selecting a welder
Hello All, I'm a glass artist in Wisconsin and I am looking for a welder that I can use to create frames for my sculptural pieces. I've been using a friends stick welder, but it is 220 and I'd rather...
1
1

Nautical Chain for sale 4.5 inch links
41/2 inch link nautical chain for sale....have 230 ft but can cut to size. Came off a mine cruiser, have papers to document authenticity. Price $3-$4/FT. Depending on quantity. Call Derek 705-426-1262

Small gear hobber needed
If anyone has a small Mikron gear hobber available I would be interested in talking. We have a .3 module, 14 tooth pinion gear to make. Yes, that's a "point" 3 module and I know it's small . We're...

splined shaft specs
Hello group, Anyone know where I can find the specs for SAE splined shafts? I need the dimensions so I can reproduce my own shaft to fit an existing application. My specific need is a 10 spline shaft...
1
1

Grinding
We bought a Kellenberger conventional Cylindrical Grinding Machine Universal to start and first learn grinding. I am looking for, surface speed, longitudinal feed and in feed per rev. for cylindrical...

BV MIDSIZE MILL and C6B LATHE (great products)
can be seen here

Comments on Wells-Index Model 860 horz.Vert Mill
Anybody have any experiences with these units? I am looking at a used model 860, made in 1969, with DRO on XY, appears OK except that the table power feeds don't work. The guy is asking $2200. Cheers,

smithy 1239 operating manual or questions
I have a shop smithy 1239 that I traded for and I am being asked to thread a rifle bbl on it. I didnt get any paperwork with it so I am confused if its possible to cut threads with it. what little I...
1
1

Laing turning lathes
Hi, anyone know anything of Laing turning lathes? Is there anywhere on the web I can find them? Thanks Andy.

Casting of thin-walled aluminium - how thick is possible on 300x300 mm plate?
Hi NG. By using low-pressure casting of Aluminium with sand moulds, how thick do you think it is possible to cast a plate of 300x300 mm? 2 mm? How about 200x200? Best regards, Martin Joergensen

Self-tapping screws??
Hello. Forgive my ignorance on this subject, but.. I looked at a trailer today that had plywood screwed to steel. When I asked the guy, how the plywood was attached, he said "Screws. They probably...
1
1

stick welding aluminum
I built a homemade AC/DC welder. I used some big 400 amp 250 volt diodes for the full wave bridge to get the DC. welds with a 1/16 to 5/32 rod fine and does stainless great too I heard that there was...
1
1

How to make safes safer.
I like to make this low-cost Harbor-Freight safe (link below) fire proof and hack-proof. They're sold by the hundreds near my Southside apartment and it seems every long-hair, tattooed individual has...
3
3