OT: Bob's your uncle ?

Yepper!

But you can't hoist the necessary mass to the moon on it. That's the point I think ptyor is missing. It wasn't Nasa - it's just physics.

L/K upper stages would require massive amounts more fuel weight. Which would require an even larger boost dtage.

That, BTW, was the Russian design approach.

Apollo was technological magic - writ larger than life.

But, sadly, we threw that technology away.

Or let it slip from our fingers - which is kinda the same thing.

So far, I have to admit, I'm rather disappointed with the 21st Century.

Gimme the good old 20th any day!

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

After a Computer crash and the demise of civilization, it was learned cavelamb himself wrote on Mon, 06 Aug 2007

03:40:58 GMT >> >>

Make big dumb booster, no need to mess with fancy pumps requiring expensive materials.

The future sure isn't what it used to be.

I mean the first manned Earth to Mars round trip was in 1948, if I remember my Buck Rodgers correctly.

-- pyotr filipivich "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. " Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 45 AD (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

After a Computer crash and the demise of civilization, it was learned " snipped-for-privacy@krl.org" wrote on Sun, 05 Aug 2007 19:50:53

-0700 >

Could be. It has been so long, I thought the first stages were coal fired.