OT: Shop cats update

My little girls can now open closed doors. I never would have believed it until I was shown the pictures. It seems they love to snooze in the soft chairs in the conference room and of course they are banned from that part of the office due to people having allergies. The forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest? They have been very good at waiting under cover by a door and then streaking through when somebody walks through. They move so fast, you can't see them, just a blur of a shadow. Now they get the doors open as long as they aren't latched...I'm sure they will figure that out next. The doors have automatic closers so they don't get consciously latched during the day. Somebody is evicting a cat at least five times a day. I DO like the piles of critters they bring to the production office as hunting trophies! I want to cut kitty holes to connect all the offices but some people won't let me, I think they should have complete access...the mice do!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I'm a dog man, I love dogs. I concede though that cats are smarter. But dogs are far more loyal.

Wes

PS

I'll pet any cat or dog that wants to be buds.

Reply to
Wes

Our neutered tomcat, Socks, can open a door with the lever handle. Kinda neat, he knows to lunge at the handle and while he's falling against the door, the handle is pulled down. BTW, he's trained me to keep his litter box clean, or he'll piss on the tool steel pile. He knows its worth more than cold rolled and AL doesn't rust.

He normally has the run of the five or so females. Today, two of them are in heat and we seem to have a LOT more cats around than usual.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

"Karl Townsend" wrote: (clip) He normally has the run of the five or so females. Today, two of them are in

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Not only can he open doors, he knows how to multiply. You really should consider having those females fixed. Believe me, I know. I feed a colony of feral cats, and the popuolation kept growing until a person from "Fix Our Ferals" stepped in and helped. Bless her.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I have the dogs at home, they do nothing; but the cats have to work 24/7.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

You can cut down on the allergy problems a LOT with regular bathing. (Of the cats, silly. The allergens are in the saliva.)

But you have to start with them as kittens and they'll either beat you to the shower (fun Fun FUN!) or grudgingly tolerate it - with some full-grown cats that have never been bathed regularly trying to give them a bath is an invitation to start WW-IV.

Oh, they do like a good challenge...

They are the Ohio Brush Vermin Control Department. They have a right to be there, too. Buy some good rubber doorstops, and let them have the run of the offices at night when the mice are out.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Or get a better grade of cat. Only four grand.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

One of the guys pointed out to me one day that there were pieces of kitty kibble on the floor by the far overhead door. I though this was odd as their food bowl is at least 75 feet away in another part of the building. One night I was working late and saw the cats sitting on the back of a forklift looking at the bottom of the door where we found the cat food. The floor under the door is uneven and there's a small gap in the middle. suddenly, a cat jumps down and pounces on a mouse entering the gap. Those cats were BAITING the mice! NO-SHIT!!!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Some dogs are pretty dumb alright, but I do not concede that cats are generally smarter than dogs. If you remove the dumb breeds from consideration (cocker spaniels, pit bulls etc.) consider what kind of animal smarts it takes to be a seeing eye dog or a police dog or a hunting dog.

The most I have ever been able to train a cat to do was to shake and give high fives, but my dog was very trainable and she was just a mutt.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Reply to
JR North

O Rly? ;-) I think the tool-using is starting to rub off on them...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Give em a salt lick block and maybe yall can add beef to the menu next week.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

I'd really hate to spoil my SO's fun. She follows the new momma to find the kitten hiding place and then steals them away at six weeks. She then becomes a PKT (Professional Kitten Tamer). We put all the freshly tamed kittens in an apple bin right in the middle of the sales room. There's a waiting list for kittens when we decide they've been petted enough by the public.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 19:10:07 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Bruce L. Bergman quickly quoth:

My problem with cats is mainly on their coats. They walk under things and roll on the ground wherever, bringing back dust mites and allergens from Hell! I hate cat hair on everything, too.

-- The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life, acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can do that, and live that way, you are really a wise man. -- Euripides

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 22:24:22 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, axolotl quickly quoth:

Ooh, those Asheras are bloody _gorgeous_!

I wonder if these are hypoallergenic:

-- The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life, acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can do that, and live that way, you are really a wise man. -- Euripides

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 02:49:47 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

ROTFLMAO! That's priceless, Tawm.

Exactly. Now, y'think Tawm can find out what lobster eat?

-- The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life, acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can do that, and live that way, you are really a wise man. -- Euripides

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
RoyJ

Last Spring, a bunch of the guys are out front cleaning up the yard. The cats are out killing birds on a wholesale level. One of the guys said to me: "If those cats were any bigger, I'd be afraid of them!"

I've seen them work as a team where one was actually "herding" birds toward the other one that was concealed in the brush. Then, the concealed one would leap out and grab a bird then the two of them would "play" with it until it wouldn't play any more. Then they would do it again. I can't tell if they switched positions as the only difference between then is the size of the tiny white patch on their chests. They have only subtle differences in their personalities too.

Most amazing! I have two miniature Schnauzers at home, they don't come to work. I brought Maggie in once, she's usually hyper about other animals and the cats are too. Maggie and the cats got along fine! The only reason I can think of is that they must know each other by the smells I bring back and forth to work.

P.S. Have you had any experience with dogs having bladder stones? My 15 year old male is recovering from his THIRD operation in 5 years at $1,200 each time. Even after the $2/can kidney formula dog food for 3 years. He's too old to go through this again.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that RoyJ wrote on Fri, 07 Mar 2008 08:39:33 -0600 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

I had friends years ago, who had a German Shepard and a Siamese cat. They couldn't figure out how the dog was getting out in the back yard, till they came in the kitchen, and there was the cat, on the counter, 'batting' that the door handle (lever type) so the dog could go out. The dog was getting old and was sort of deaf, but the cat served as a sort of a "hearing aid" for him.

-- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, ?Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

As the saying goes, "dogs have owners, cats have staff."