OT- Something Fishy about Kerry's being a "Hero"

Hmm, what does that sound like? Maybe GWBs comments after 9/11, any time anyone critisized his course of actions, there was a shrill keening wail of *outrage* than anyone could question the prez during such a time of crisis.

Fair's fair, if one party can play that game, then they've lost their standing to go whaaah whaaaah whah when they opponents do likewise.

No, tougher. The folks behind the scene hardly ever take the heat, that's what the point man is for. They run him, he implements their policies.

Jim

jim rozen

What if? OK, if that person starts multiple OT threads per day containing partisan rhetoric backed up by lame "cites", then it will be OK with me if you mock him mercilessly.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE_THIS

Let's see now, it says in the subject line: OT- Something Fishy about Kerry's being a "Hero".

I'm not the brightest bulb in the display, but if a subject line such as that looked like something that would give me grief, a coupla clicks and I won't have to see any of it again. And I can save the Rolaids for something of more importance.

Course if I was someone who just liked to whine and bitch, I guess I could wipe the other threads and concentrate on that one that irritates me.

mj

Reply to
michael

He's not Jane Fonda, no matter how many Photoshop faked photos get distributed on the net.

and now when it's cool to be a veteran, he's wearing

GWB's record on defense and security is abysmal, unless you're referring to Israel's security, which seems to be of utmost importance to his handlers.

He can't have it both ways. I'd also

He's not immune from scrutiny. Of course if he was a conservative Republican, there would be very little scrutiny from certain quarters.

The chickenhawk database:

ATP

Hey NumbNuts..you figure anything with this threads title is gonna be metalworking related? If not..why the hell are you reading it?

Now go find some metalworking stuff to bitch about while the big guys sit around the waste oil heater and shoot the bull.

Or are you doing the newsgroup thingy by the braille method and got "OT" confused with "HSS cutting tools"?

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

Come on Wayne..admit it. You are just as blatantly and rabidly biased as you claim I am..and folks badmouthing your boy is getting your panties in a wad.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

You get a big gold star for reading comprehension and Spin Busting.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

And, there would be outraged whines if anyone did scrutinize. Lack of patriotism, don't-cha-know. Followed by homeland security investigations, leaks about CIA agents, political reprisals, etc.

jim rozen

Let's see - it's OK to bitch so long as the bitching is marked OT. It's not OK to bitch about someone bitching. But it's OK to bitch about someone bitching about someone bitching? Who said you're not the "brightest bulb in the display"? Shame on them! :-)

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE_THIS

Wayne:

I'm reading this on the rec.crafts.metalworking group. Gunner is a regular poster here, with plenty of on topic as well as of topic posts, and his off topic posts are labelled as such. Don't recall seeing you here before, though. Might I suggest that you contribute to the group before you criticize it?

John Martin

Reply to
JMartin957

Well, it's for sure that I've never started even a single partisan thread here, so there must be some small difference between us. And you seem to be the one getting called out by some of the regulars for all the political crap. But let's not take my word for it when we have instant replay - a summary of the group stats

or
Looks like I didn't make the top 40, but you're #1 in posts, threads started, *and* number of additional groups. You know, just because you

*can* write all that stuff doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Hey, I just noticed.... you didn't even try to deny any of my previous predications. LOL OK, here's another one - most of the political stuff in this group is in response to threads you started, so my new prediction is that if you'd quit starting those threads, the political content would drop dramatically. Would you be willing to try to prove me wrong? Do you think you could go cold turkey by say, keeping your partisan hot air out of *this* group for a single month even? I bet you can't.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE_THIS

I'm not criticizing the group. I'm not even criticizing OT or political posts. In fact, I enjoy and participate in a lot of that stuff. But if it's OK to post outrageously one-sided political nonsense, then it's OK to make fun of it as well. I agree that Gunner contributes some excellent metal wisdom. I think his rep could be up there with Ernie's if he'd limit his political discussion to non-kook content.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE_THIS

I haven't read everything in this thread, but my "spin" is:

Kerry voluntarily joined the navy - he probably could have avoided it, as did so many other people with connections. I was 1-A in 1966 and my father, a naval commander, helped me get into the reserves. Two years active duty in a safe job.

Kerry had a relatively safe job on a navy ship.

Kerry voluntarily exposed himself to greatly increased personal risk by putting in for the swift-boat training.

Whether he performed any true "heroics" after that is not of much concern to me. At the very least, the man didn't hide or have "other priorities" that overrode his sense of duty.

Reply to
Michael Rainey

Hmm. That would be.... unlikely. To say the least....

Jim

jim rozen

Congrats, My father was a naval offocer & my uncle was a gen in the Air NG & neither could get me in those services. Everyone I knew, who was 1A at that time tried to get into the navy or AF; anything but the Army or Marines :o). Unfortunately we have overused the word "hero" in this country after 911 to the point where it is meaningless, IMO. A very small percentage of those killed in that attack were true heroes. Greg Sefton

Reply to
Bray Haven

The only difference between Hanoi Jane & Hanoi Johns was that he didn't go to N VN and sit on a gun for photos. His activities were identical to hers. His statements and incitements to the active personell the same. His trashing of his country and troops and his shame at his service were even worse than hers. And now he wants to be the big hero, and have that 4 months overshadow all the things he's done (or not done) in his lifelong "tour of duty" at the public trough. As Ross used to say, "That dog don't hunt" :o) BTW, GWB record on defense & security is excellent. Won every conflict & beefed up domestic & foreign security that his liberal predecessors gutted. Greg Sefton

Reply to
Bray Haven

Can't disagree with ya there (fellow blacksmith). But with the trashing of everyone who runs for office, it's understandable. Where's the Bull Moose Candidate when we really need him? :o) Greg Sefton

Reply to
Bray Haven

Interesting. What do you think are the characteristics that should be used to define this?

Jim

jim rozen

A city wide blackout at Thu, 26 Feb 2004 05:24:49 GMT did not prevent Gunner from posting to rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"Getting a medal is the result of doing something stupid while an officer watches." SSgt P.R. Hampe USAR, about his Silver star and two Bronzes.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

The sooner the better AFIC :o). As for Kerry, he encouraged mutiny, desertion & and disobeience. accused the soldiers over there of horrible atrocities (Wrongly). He may even be responsible for some "friendly fire" deaths. He clearly was ashamed of "serving" but of course, that was then, this is now, and he wants to be the big hero for that 4 months :o). Boat patrol still isn't groud combat. At least he was home for supper & cold beer. You aren't really saying that Bush let UBL get away are you? That was his predecessor who had him on a plane and could have had him, but, didn't want an "incident" so ordered him let go.. :o). Greg Sefton

Reply to
Bray Haven