OT: Streaming video in Firefox help

I have a software settings related problem, that I can't seem to figure out. I have tried the Firefox forums, but could not find a solution. Besides knowing a lot about metalworking, I find, that often people here also know a lot about computers. I hope this is OK with you all. The issue is somewhat related to metalworking, because it involves a video, that shows me making a piece of jewelry.

Here is my problem. I just upgraded the video on my web site, which previously was very blocky with poor sound quality. It had been set up several years ago, when the fastest connection speed to the Net was a 56K modem. Long before broadband. The URL is:

In Internet Explorer, the video "streams" nicely. I have been told, that it is not really streaming, but rather downloading and playing at the same time. This is shown by the fact, that as the video begins to play, you cannot choose a random spot in the stream. You cannot do this until the entire clip has downloaded. In any case, the video begins to play, soon after the link is clicked. Either Windows Media Player or Quicktime (whichever I had chosen to play mpg files) opens up and plays the movie.

In Firefox, this is not possible. When the link is clicked, the entire movie downloads first, and THEN starts to play in my media player of choice.

The crazy thing is, that at one point I had messed around with my setting, and I did get to play the video as a "stream". However the movie was playing "inside" my Firefox browser window as a Quicktime movie, not in it's own Quicktime application window. I have not been able to get back to the settings to affect that to happen again.

At this point, I don't care if the video plays inside a Firefox window, or as a standalone Quicktime movie, as long as it "streams" and people don't have to wait for the movie to download completely first.

Can anyone here help?

BTW, I am running Windows XP. I don't know how it works on a Mac. Maybe someone here who runs a Mac can give me some feedback.

Abrasha

Abrasha

I have XP with Firefox 1.0, broadband internet. When I clicked on the video, QuickTime started in Firefox. I saw the download progressing. Then I clicked the play button, while the download continued, and viewed some of it. It seems not as automated as IE. Maybe it will be in the future. Maybe QuickTime needs to be installed on your system. MikeH

Reply to
Mike H

That is exactly what I want it to do. It doesn't do it on my system. So it is clearly something with my settings.

Well, of course. :)

Abrasha

Abrasha

I'm running SUSE Linux 9.2, Firefox 1.0 with the MPlayer plugins and it opens and plays right in the browser.

-Mike

Reply to
Michael J Panchula

If QuickTime was already installed before you installed FireFox (pretty likely, I suspect), it might be that FireFox has not been told to use QuickTime. I also suspect that when QuickTime is first installed, it modifies the configuration of whatever browers are present, and which it knows about, so they will use QuickTime.

I'm not using Firefox on a Windows box, so things could be different. However, on what I have, go along the top bar to find "tools", and click to produce a menu. From that menu, select "options". From the window which that brings up, click on "downloads". Down near the bottom right hand corner is a button labeled "plugins". While I have no plugins configured, I believe that this is what you would use to bind the movie files to QuickTime (or some other program).

However, I am not sure about this, as I have no way to test it in your type of system. What I may do on an OpenBSD system is probably quite unrelated.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols