Say goodbuy to home shops

Well, Simi does enforce their occupancy ordinances *if* they are told about it, but that's about the only place I know of around here that takes it seriously.

Beverly Hills probably, but they have the money to toss around and a very limited supply of apartment rentals. (And excellent schools.)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Power corruption is always a possibility but I'm not too worried. We've been here 12 years with nary a shop-related problem and attend most of the HOA social functions so most folks know us at least a little. AIR, it takes a 2/3 majority of all homeowners to effect a major change in the byloaws and that is generally difficult to achieve. Being a good neighbor doesn't hurt and it may also help a little that I'm doing a CNC engraving (gratis) for the ex-president of the HOA . He did have a minor tiff with one of the neighbors but the board was reasonable and saw things his way. Common sense seems to prevail here, but I can see where that may not be the case everywhere.

Reply to
Mike Henry

The subject was 3-6 families living in a single dwelling. Quite common in So. Cal.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

US's rankings sorta gives you a warm feeling, eh?

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Reply to
kfvorwerk

No, the subject was HOAs. I'm sure they are all to common in So Cal as well.

3-6 families living in a single dwelling and an HOA are two problems, not one problem and one solution.
Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

SPLORF! The US has a larger popualtion that most other countries.

Would you believe:

Fred the Red Shirt

Here it is:

It sure does.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On 29 Aug 2007 06:25:46 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Maxwell Lol quickly quoth:

Totals sure don't, Bevis. But look at the _per-capita_ stats we were comparing:

Larry Jaques

Dope! The US has 2.5x the number of burglaries as the UK.... and 5x the population.

Reply to
Doug Miller

The first part of this particular discussion was snipped by the replier. Restore it and we can discuss it.

gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Buying property subject to a HOA is not for anyone that likes to do and make things. I'd be interested to learn of any study showing percentages of Democrats, Liberals, Republicans in HOA's compared to the DLR population as a whole. There has to be some sort of mindset in play.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I don't think you'll find it tracks politics, but rather self segregationism. Those who want to self segregate do so on a variety of criteria, be it race, class, religion, politics, age, etc. You'll find segregated enclaves of all types out there.

Reply to
Pete C.

This is yet another example of Andy Warhal's "15 minutes of fame". Either them guy hasn't gotten his yet or the media is looking for more readers.

Either way, the story has no basis in reality. Stories that include the word "could" or "might" are pure gossip - NOT news and NOT gospel.

Gary

Reply to
grice

Evangelicals?

"Cleanness of body was ever deemed to proceed from a due reverence to God." -- Francis Bacon, 1605

"Slovenliness is no part of religion. Cleanliness is indeed next to Godliness." -- John Wesley, 1791

I saw a comment recently that the house of an evangelical missionary would meet the standards required for a veterinary operating room.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Based on the Lefts long history of totalitarianism and forceing of the Nanny State..Id have to say its the Left.

Unless you think Stalin, Mao, Kim Dungwit and FDR were Republicans, just to name a few....

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Well! People have to have something to make it worth while for a burglar to steal it. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Some real surprises there. Wonder why Finland is so high? And Mexico so low? For that matter, I'm surprised that the US is so low. Prolly has something to do with all those firearms in the hands of civilians

Reply to
Jim Stewart

In Nevada democrats: "State senator Michael Schneider seems to agree. "After the mayor [of Las Vegas] was elected, I told him, 'Your staff only approves homeowners associations.' He asked, 'Why do we do that?' I told him: 'Because you get to raise taxes without letting the public know you're increasing taxes. You bring in X thousand dollars without increasing services.' It's a taxing scheme," Schneider adds.

Schneider has led efforts to reform Nevada's homeowners association laws, creating what some observers view as a model package for statewide policy. Passed in three acts in 1997, 1999, and 2003"

Best Regards

Tom.

Reply to
azotic

The city of Kanata is like that to this day. the Poor Zonong officers in the city have 31 different zoning standards and have not yet standardized so all the silly kanat bylaws relating to clotherlines or parking a camping trailer or painting the coolour of your gareage door (Yes folks there are municipal bylaws in a town near me stating what colours your garage door CANNOT BE in relation to your house and neighbours, but we look at this one town as being silly)

Reply to
Brent