Trench Art - How done?

I've had a WWI "trench art" vase for so long I can't remember when and where I bought it.

I've always wondered how the craftsman who made it from a cannon shell formed those smooth deep grooves in the lower part of the vase.

It's hardly unique, I've seen photos of many other pieces of trench art with similarly formed grooves.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia