What is it? LII

posting from rec.puzzles

290. a porcelein insulator?

291. a gasket?

292.

293. wouldn't want to be on wrong end of it! some form of drag / trawl

294. a multi-key for very boring locks?

295. wood joining thingy

These are hard - first time I really havent had a clue for any of selection.

Regards

Matthew Newell

Reply to
Matthew Newell

290: Terminals with insulator for high-voltage electrical wires. (At only 4", not too high voltage though) 291: stencil

293: anchor

295: Corrugated nail, often used in picture frames
Reply to
Matthew Russotto
293 Seed corn cob dryer. Pick the best of this years corn cobs, stick them on this thing and hang them up to keep them away from rodents and to dry for next years seed corn.
Reply to
woodcraftssuch

290. a "spark gap". Used in old phone lines and antenna leads. One terminal was attach to a ground rod and the outside line and the feed into the building were attached to the other terminal. If lightning hit the the antenna or phone line, the surge would jump the gap and go to ground instead of into the building. 291. An eraser shield

293. A hanger for drying leaf tobacco

294. A tool for installing/removing fittings on cast iron radiators

295. a corrugated staple for butt joining two pieces of wood

Reply to
Gjpostma
292 is a detail sander that tensions a small belt of abrasive cloth.
Reply to
bamboo

As I mentioned in another post, the seller told me it was for fixing dented pipes, but your answer sounds more likely. On one side of this tool it says "Chicago Spec. Mfg. Co." and the other side says "Malleable Iron Taiwan". Please let me know if you remember what it's called, I've been looking on the web but haven't found anything like it yet.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

I thought I had a couple of testers in this set, but it looks like they've all been answered correctly:

Spoilers:

290. Insulator, though I haven't had any luck verifying exactly what type 291. Drafter's erasing shield 292. Detail sanding tool, with sandpaper belt removed. 293. Corn dryer 294. Plumber's tool, the seller told me it was for fixing the ends of dented pipes, you would insert this tool and turn it to bend the pipe back into shape. Someone from the metalworking board posted that it's a type of wrench used to remove steam pipe fittings, he replied only to that board but you'll see more of his answer if you read my response to him. 295. Corrugated fastener, for connecting wood with mitered joints, such as picture frames.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

#290: Insulator from an electric fencer

#291: Eraser shield for drafting

#292: Interested in seeing what this is, I think I've seen the spring end on something, but I can't place it

#293: Fake flower stem for silk flowers

#294: Hole step gauge of some sort?

#295: Extruded lead?

Mark & Juanita

Rob, Here is a link to a similar tool. It is referred to here as a "radiator step wrench", but that seems to be at term used in the UK, where this site is from.

I am sure there is another name for this. It is a sort of colloquial name like "Spud wrench" (though that is not what this is) or something. Up here in New England, we still have lots of homes with 60 & 70 year old steam heating systems. I have seen these tools used before. Gonna call my plumber buddy tomorrow....

-AL

Reply to
Al A.

Radiator Step Wrench

Similar: (this would be used with a ratchet, yours with an open wrench)

Yes, used to unseat valves in steam radiators.

--

  • TomH + antonomasia-at-canada-dot-com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

Also:

TomH

#293 is for baking potatoes in a fireplace

#295 is a nail for picture frames

#284 is a camming device used by rock climbers (I think it's called a "nut"). Compress it and put it in a crack in the rock. Atach rope. The harder you pull the tighter it wedges itself into the crack.

#286 is an elevator door key. Look on an elevator door and you'll see a round hole. The key goes in there to unlock the door.

#287 is a wrench for wing nuts.

#288 is a light meter.

#289 look like a post for a 45rpm record player.

Reply to
Steve Mulhollan

Thanks for your help in solving this one.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Thanks for the link.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ My e-mail to you bounced, so I guess I'll post it here: WRJ ANVYF (Hope I got it right--ROT 13 is new to me.)

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Apparently you got it right - it works for me. :-)

Presumably, it's used while Avttre-evt-ing a klooge. ;-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise