Wind Power

Still, don't assume anything about wind speed. A small difference in average speed or consistency equals a much bigger difference in production. In our area, everybody loves to bitch about the wind. Some people move away because they can't stand the blowing. It seems omnipresent until you put up a turbine. :-) Here's a local story that's typical of overestimating a wind resource

(features some metal content). Granted, the prep work for that project was so poor that it bordered on silly, as evidenced by the contractor's confusion about the difference between power and energy.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE

The pay back would be very quick, Karl could sell Plutonium to terrorists.

Reply to
Buerste

Reminds me of the year I bought my first sailboat. "The Windless summer"

Reply to
RBnDFW

Watch ebay for decommissioned submarines. You can store grain in the missile tubes. You'll need a trailer.

Reply to
RBnDFW

Hello, Karl.

Hmmmm. If there aren't a lot of others in your area already doing it, be very suspicious. The bank sure will be. If there ARE lots of people in your area doing it, ask them.

Sounds as though you have already talked to your utility. Ask them for names of others who are already connected. I assume that "work with me" and "under 40Kw" means that you want to sell as much power back at RETAIL as you can. So, you are into cost avoidance, not the power production business. $500K sounds like a lot of money to invest for a small return. And, if you design a system that PEAKS at 39.9Kw, you won't be selling them a whole lot of power anyway, since most of the time you'll probably be running at a lot less than peak. I don't think that's what you want. You should be considering a unit that puts out a lot more than that, with (acceptable to the utility) electronic controls that make sure you never deliver over 40Kw, if that's what they demand. In our area, we can sell (retail, or "net metering") up to 25KW on a single phase line (us) or up to 75KW on a 3 phase line.

I think you need to contact people who do a lot of wing installation. If you ar thinking of generating DC and then using an inverter to feed the utility, I can see where your high costs could be coming from in that power range. But, if you can get the utility to buy into an induction generator system (of which there are lots, in certain places like central Minnesota), the hook up becomes MUCH less expensive.

Pete Stanaitis

----------------

Reply to
spaco

There is a photo series on the web of a guy building his own wind generator. He starts with a car axle/spindle assembly, and mounts a stack of two discs to the studs. He gets some large rare-earth magnets and glues them to the discs in an alternating N-S pattern. He winds little trapezoidal coils, wires them up in a 3-phase sequence and then embeds them in fiberglass and epoxy. When the whole thing is assembled, the coil plate is between the two magnet-covered discs. Then he mounts a "prop" to the assembly, puts it on a swivel and it is ready to go on the tower. I was VERY impressed with the simplicity of the design, and it looks like he got pretty much everything right on it.

If you can't find this with a little web searching, I'll see if I can locate it again. This unit, in single quantity, is a LOT smaller than

40 KVA, and would need a grid-tie inverter, but could be built pretty cheaply, maybe a couple hundred $ per unit, plus time. After the first module, I think you could make them fairly quickly. The basic design could be easily scaled up (truck front spindle, bigger discs, more magnets and coils, bigger prop, etc.) I'm guessing the units he was building were good for a several KVA each.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I can't address wind power ashore, but I'm very much in favor of it afloat!

:)

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb

Ditto for my first (and only) snowmobile. Snowless winter.

Wes

Wes

Currently reading Nevile Shute's "Trustee from the Toolroom", have you ever read it?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

You're probably thinking of this site

A wealth of good info from some real git-er-done people. Here's their largest project
with a 20' rotor. Check out the foundation anchors on page 5. Should be a puzzlement to future archaeologists. :-) Karl would need 8 such turbines! Scaling it up might be possible to reduce the number, but any subsidies and buy-back schemes almost certainly require certified equipment.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE

Sorry, can't help you with the little stuff. Could probably get you a discount on a 3MW unit for cash.

It'd have the advantage that it would be well clear of your trees, so wouldn't take up too much productive land :-)

Regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Yes, 40 years ago out of our tiny rural (town of 610) Catholic church library. It was great then. I should get a copy.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 16:53:34 -0400, the infamous "Buerste" scrawled the following:

Oh, no. The little jobs can't create nasties for sale. So sorry!

-- Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything. -- Johann K. Lavater

Reply to
Larry Jaques

No, haven't heard of it. What's it all about, Alfie?

Reply to
cavelamb

Rules and regulations. Under 40KW, hook up to single phase transmission lines and buy any extra at retail rate - $0.085. Over 40KW bring in 3 phase transmission lines and sell any extra at wholesale $0.015

Had a nice long talk with the state electrical inspector for wind power today. Very informative and i got a list of top local contractors.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I keep looking for it in used bookstores but no luck so far.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Yes! Thumping good read, that.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Along with many other books by Nevil Shute (Norway) Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

It was the first book I checked out of the library after getting my most recent card.

That guy could sure write!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Mechanical geek as hero. Too rare a theme, I think.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston