Wind Power

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
(...)

The 'comparative efficacy' article didn't mention the concentration of H2O2 made available inside the sulcus. It's listed as the 11th ingredient down in a list of 15 ingredients, with water being listed in the number 3 slot: http://whatsinproducts.com/information.php?brandNo -004-017&PHPSESSID2a1fae47a1413bda6e73e09454bc7d
Sounds to me as if it is a 'gimmick' ingredient, included at a molecular ratio just to say that some is in the tube.
I've got no argument with the efficacy of stannous fluoride. That's the reason why I have had such good results with a combination of brushing with fluoride toothpaste, flossing and rinsing with an H2O2 solution.
Note that the study did not include a comparison of that combination of tools and techniques.
It's a little disingenuous to say 'they tested "A" compared with "J" so therefore "B" is not any more effective than "A".
:)
--Winston

These are just summaries of the full articles, which will say exactly what was used. Nor will the H2Os used be all that strong. The real point is that if H2O2 were so much more effective than anything complicated, some academic would have told us by now.
There is no harm in the H2O2 rinse, and if it works for you don't stop. But you can also use the high-floride toothpaste mentioned in the article.
One odd side effect of my heart surgery was a dramatic reduction in tartar buildup, due to the heavy duty antibiotics were used before surgery. The effect is well known it turned out, but those antibiotics are far too powerful to use for teeth.
The holy grail is something effective and yet safe enough for unsupervised populations to use. It will be a billion-dollar discovery. How's that for incentive?
Joe Gwinn
Joseph Gwinn wrote: (...)

That message came through loud and clear in the first article. I grok.

Yup. There is no single 'magic bullet' for dental care (or anything else that I know of). It takes a combination of tools and techniques to do the job correctly. We are in violent agreement.

Pretty good, Joe.
--Winston
On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 11:22:00 -0700, Richard W. wrote:

Never - it's obvious. It's $100 bucks to pull the tooth, and $1,000 to "save" it. ;-)
Cheers! Rich

btdt. best day of my life was waking up after neck fusion with no pain, after 30+ years of suffering crippling headaches and sometimes being unable to walk .

I keep looking for it in used bookstores but no luck so far.
Don Foreman wrote:

It was the first book I checked out of the library after getting my most recent card.
That guy could sure write!
--Winston
On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 00:18:56 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman

You're in luck, Don. It's available used through Amazon.com at prices from $8.98 to, get this: over $200. <thud>
I recently reread my local library's copy.
Anyone here make gray eggs?
-- Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything. -- Johann K. Lavater
Don Foreman wrote:

171 copies available through ABE Books.
<http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=Shute%2C+Nevil&tn=Trustee+from+the+Toolroom&xu&y >

Wes wrote:

Yes! Thumping good read, that.
--Winston

Along with many other books by Nevil Shute (Norway) Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Wes wrote:

Excellent book. Read it recently, one of my favorites. I have it in e-book format if anyone is interested. It's long out of print.

Id love it if you could email it to me
snipped-for-privacy@lightspeed.net
Gunner Asch wrote:

I'll send it to you once I've read it.
On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 02:05:11 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch

Dropbox, guys!
-- Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything. -- Johann K. Lavater
Hey Ed,
Maybe you know guys already know about this, but just in case, it is an interesting little article from CTE news. Goes against what I personally have understood, which was that if you used your own good "QC" right at the manufacturing site in China, you got good product. Guess I'm wrong again.
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
28-Jul-09 3:00 AM AWST
600 Group drops China sourcing
Machine tool manufacturer 600 Group has pulled back from outsourcing production to China because of the poor levels of quality and consequent warranty claims.
Quality problems have led 600 Group to drop its stategy of sourcing from China Releasing details of its recent significant restructuring and new product supply arrangements CEO David Norman said: At the time of my appointment in August, it was clear that both the cost infrastructure of the Group and the machine tools supply chain were in need of urgent attention. Considerable action has subsequently been taken and continues to be required to effect transformational change within the Groups operations, whilst concurrently taking additional defensive actions in light of depressed market conditions.
He added that the company has also moved to a simpler business model which supports its commitment to manufacturing and supplying high quality customer focused products.
Previously a significant feature of the Groups strategy was the outsourcing of a large part of production and supply from China. Regrettably, says the company, the levels of quality originally envisaged were not achieved and, despite a major effort by the engineering and quality teams, the result was an unacceptable level of warranty claims. Mr Normal says that under these circumstances the supply chain was re-engineered and new outsourcing arrangements were put in place, resulting in a return to historic levels of product quality.
The company is also making significant investments in the manufacture of workholding equipment and machine components at is machine shop in Heckmondwike, which is now one of the largest of its kind in the UK. This focus on the development of the Groups UK manufacturing base is likely to continue.
The Group is moving to a simpler business model eliminating duplication and ensuring more consistency for customers. Product sourcing is now under the control of a single product management team, working on behalf of the entire Group. Sales and marketing effort will now be directed towards 600 Group brands, including Colchester-Harrison, Electrox, Pratt Burnerd and Gamet Bearings. The Group will continue to sell a limited number of other products complementary to these core ranges.
Mr Norman concluded: Major restructuring and significant cost reductions have been necessary to ensure that 600 Group is in the right shape to weather the current market and has a strong platform from which to grow the business.
We will increasingly be going to market as a group rather than a collection of companies. Central product management will control the Groups marketing strategy to achieve maximum leverage of Group brands. The associated sales volume benefits will drive our outsourcing arrangements in addition to strengthening our manufacturing base in our three UK locations, Heckmondwike, West Yorkshire, Colchester, Essex and Letchworth, Hertfordshire.
There is still a great deal of work to do but I believe that the Group will soon be in a position to take advantage of any recovery as well as opportunities which may arise from the global downturn.

<snip>
Interesting. I hear anecdotal things about this from people I still talk to in manufacturing, but I haven't seen any numbers on it since I was writing about trade with China. It would be worth checking it out.
-- Ed Huntress
On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 01:42:08 -0400, "Ed Huntress"

I have a friend who has hobby products made to his design in China. His comment is that he pays about 3c extra on a $5 cost to have a full quality check, such that he offers a full one year, no questions asked, exchange warranty on all his products. As a personal example, one of his units died due to a dead short failure in a down line component not of his manufacture, he immediately replaced it even though I did not expect it, I showed it to him so that the next version (V3) can be made more idiot proof. V1 was DC input, he had a few returns from people who could not differentiate between positive & negative or that a 12V does not really like 24V. V2 operates on AC or DC, 9V to (I think) 36V. The next upgrade will be even better.
He says that Chinese manufacturers will build to whatever quality level you specify. Specify low quality you get rubbish, specify higher quality levels then you get what you pay for. He often requires modifications to test samples to get the top quality he requires.
        Alan
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 05:59:46 -0500, "Karl Townsend"

Sorry, can't help you with the little stuff. Could probably get you a discount on a 3MW unit for cash.
It'd have the advantage that it would be well clear of your trees, so wouldn't take up too much productive land :-)
Regards Mark Rand RTFM

Rules and regulations. Under 40KW, hook up to single phase transmission lines and buy any extra at retail rate - $0.085. Over 40KW bring in 3 phase transmission lines and sell any extra at wholesale $0.015
Had a nice long talk with the state electrical inspector for wind power today. Very informative and i got a list of top local contractors.
Karl