Wind Power

Larry Jaques gifted Humanity with:

The tools that you use very occasionally can go into less convenient (compact) storage. Your 2000 most - used tools get sorted into foam for instant access and trackability, ordered by decreasing frequency - of - use. Simpatico, no?

Ferinstance my top level tray contains: Needlenose pliers Side cutting pliers Steel measuring tape Solder Sucker Wire Strippers C Wrench Small Phillips and straight blade screwdrivers

The drawer under that tray holds a couple DMMs, a couple multiple - blade screwdriver sets and other tools that are nice to keep close but don't get used on a minute - by - minute basis.

When composing a shopping list, the reminders prevent me from repeating a past mistake. I like that and so does SWMBO.

As a general rule, yes.

There are always exceptions, like the extremely cheap transistor radios I turned into signal tracers, for example.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 17:31:49 -0700, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

That's much more easily said than done.

I keep the 500 most-used tools in my truck with me. As to the shop, I finished the roof on the pumphouse and can now install the shelving. Brackets are already up, so that won't take long. Hell, by Christmas, I should have some of the crap out of the shop so I can view a real sq. _foot_ of floorspace again. Only then can I figure out what shop tools to keep where, and how.

So how often do you and/or SWMBO refer to that list?

Everything in moderation, including moderation. --anon

-- Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything. -- Johann K. Lavater

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Seems we bought our boats the same years......sigh

Gunner Asch

(...)

Cost me 15 minutes per tray. Twas pretty easy, too because it need only be beautiful to my eyes.

Big bonus: I changed the battery in one of my DMMs right after putting the tray in the drawer. (Used the small slot screwdriver and needlenose pliers from the tray).

After I buttoned up the DMM, I noticed *instantly* that I left the screwdriver out of it's recess. It went back in to it's place muy pronto. I smiled. Like a real grownup. :)

(...)

Whilst reorganizing my tools, I discovered many that I had been missing for a couple years. Turns out I had them all the time. They were just secreted under layers of other tools. Dash Bad.

(...)

Couple times a week, on average. I admit I'm the one that transcribes from handwritten into the spreadsheet. But it is still cool to have a list that can be sorted by 'store aisle'.

Whoa! *Especially* moderation.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

As a 19 year old, I did not like the foaming mouth look or feel.

Reply to
Calif Bill
[ ... ]

We've done that -- using a simple text editor (no need for a spreadsheet), and the unix "sort" utility which can be told to sort on a specific field, and either numerically or text based sorts. Of course, the default text-based works pretty well as long as you are in the habit of using leading zeros, so every number has the same number of digits. And if you put the aisle in the left-most field, that is also the default.

Then the store shuffled their arrangement -- several times. We used to have a find-me table which they gave out after they absorbed the business beside the grocery store and expanded into it. For a while

*nobody* could find anything. They're currently doing a major shuffle again, so I hope that they start offering such a guide again.

My wife is pretty good at knowing which aisles to look in for what (except during the shuffle), but when she was in the hospital, I depended on that map and the pre-sorted shopping list -- and for a while after that -- until she felt well enough to do her shopping on her own again.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Sounds like it was very unpleasant. I'm pleased that we have you back from that, Bill.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Guru on deck! :)

I can relate. I started writing down aisle numbers to append to each item entry. It worked great for about a week. Twas a blast to go directly from anywhere to anywhere in the store. Got my shopping done in jig time. Store management didn't care for that overmuch. :) DAMHIKT

Sounds like you coped well.

Cool!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

No, there's more to it than that. I've read somewhere how this chemistry works but I don't recall where. I didn't invent this, a search will fetch many hits.

Reply to
Don Foreman

The store where I do most of the family shopping is undergoing its fourth or fifth major renovation since it was built in 1976 - the year after I started shopping there (the original store was in the parking area in front of the new building). Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

If your remembery is as fallible as mine, a google search on "peroxide PCB" will fetch a refresh.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Well I'll be darned.

Thanks!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

Needed: Shopping cart (Trolly) mounted display that shows the location of each shopping list item, GPS - style.

Hey, I'd buy one!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I'll need that, no doubt. Thanks.

Speaking of memory devices, since Iran's Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is a tongue-twister and hard for many of us westerners to remember, I've adopted Maureen Dowd's mnemonic for his name: "I'm a dinner jacket." 'Never fails.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

We spent nearly 6 hours out tonight. I need to make a new pennant; one with a beaver on it. That was a beautiful night!

R (the Happy little Lamb)

Reply to
cavelamb

My top four drawers go:

Grabby Stabby Twisty Turny.

Pliars Screwdrivers sockets Wrenches

Reply to
cavelamb

Id love it if you could email it to me

snipped-for-privacy@lightspeed.net

Gunner Asch

I'll send it to you once I've read it.

Reply to
cavelamb

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 02:21:03 -0400, the infamous "Ed Huntress" scrawled the following:

Grok that. I use "Just another yahoo" for Israel's Benjamin Netanyahu.

Then there are the old "Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly" for resistor color code, and "Mr. Victor Eats Many Jam Sandwiches Until Nicely Plump" for planets, which is now void because they took away Pluto's planetary status.

That author was right: Everything you know is wrong.

-- Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything. -- Johann K. Lavater

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 18:57:36 -0700, the infamous Winston scrawled the following:

Are you also anal enough to have one of those pegboards with outlines of tools on your garage wall? Huh, huh, huh? Are ya?

Well, it's a start, wot?

Oh. I'm only 55 (until next month), so I can remember things longer. I don't start disremembering for months or years.

What, do you photograph the aisles in your one store and make lists for that? Man, talk about overkill.

"They" just rearranged all the stores in town over the past 6 months. Fred Meyer and Wally World just moved everything in the stores and Wally widened their aisles. I need you to come up and do your list thing for GP residents. Are ya up to it, little fella? There's a jar of mixed nuts, bolts, and dust in it for ya!

You betcha!