A modest proposal... or Jerry Irvine saves the Universe

Has this _ever_ happened to NAR or TRA regarding an accident involving a "certified" user or motor?

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

To me it looks like Jerry is getting special treatment.... everyone is going out of their way to make sure USR is not certified. If you read the text of the NAR BOD, they weren't trying to help USR become certified. When things were done technically wrong they could have called him up and told him what the problem was and figure out together how to make it right, not just dismiss him over some technicallity.

That is how humans should act towards each other, with good faith and a willingness to make things happen that are in the best interests of all.

Ray, I don't understand your steadfast dislike of Jerry Irving. Don't you think that NAR or TRA, if they wanted to, could make it so that USR motors could be certified? I can't believe otherwise. This is just silly.

Take care,

Ferrell Wheeler Sunderland, MD

Reply to
Ferrell Wheeler

That is the single best suggestion I have read on RMR, yet. User certifications are wrong IMHO, but if we must have them, then they should not expire when membership dues lapse. That is just wrong. ARSA could make this happen.

Ferrell

Reply to
Ferrell Wheeler

lets take a step back for a minute ...

at present, some states have their own licensing for users of experimental and high power rockets. For example, California requires a Pyrotechnic Operators license of the appropriate class for the manufacturer or use of experimental high power rocket motors of solid or other propellants. As the AHJ, licensing by the California State Fire Marshal's Office constitutes certification in that state. The requirement having been so satisfied, does in and of itself qualify licensees to acquire and use motors of the appropriate class.

no additional certification is required for the purchase and use of rocket motors. TRA/NAR certification does not add value other than to satisfy requirements of these organizations (not based in law) ostensibly established to address issues of insurability and liability.

other states which have not adopted NFPA 1127, either not having adopted the International Fire Code [IFC], NFPA 1 or which have specifically excluded or superseded NFPA 1127, rely upon their own state law to determine the form, if any, requirements for purchase and use of rocket motors may take. TRA/NAR may or may not be recognized as organizations whose certification satisfy their requirements.

the following 19 states and regions have NOT adopted the IFC as of 1/07/04

California Connecticut D.C. Delaware Florida Hawaii Kentucky Louisiana Maryland Massachusetts Montana New Jersey New Mexico Oregon Rhode Island S. Dakota Vermont West Virginia Wisconsin

the following 16 states have only limited adoption of the IFC (specific localities or state agencies within the state)

Alabama Arizona Colorado Illinois Iowa Kansas Maine Mississippi Missouri Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire N. Dakota Ohio Tennessee Texas

only the following 16 states have adopted the IFC state-wide

Alaska Arkansas Georgia Idaho Indiana Michigan Minnesota New York N. Carolina Oklahoma S. Carolina Utah Virginia Washington Wyoming Pennsylvania

in the latter 16 states, and limited areas within the preceding 16 states, NFPA codes have been adopted. It is only these areas where NFPA

1127 applies, and with it it's requirements for user certification as follows.

NFPA 1127 - Code for High Power Rocketry, 2002 Ed. (excerpted for editorial review)

==

3.3.5* Certified User. An individual, a distributor, or a seller who has been tested or otherwise examined by a recognized organization that is acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction and has been found to be qualified to purchase, possess, and use high power rocket motors.

A.3.3.5 Certified User. A certified user includes, but is not limited to, an individual who has licenses or certificates from Tripoli Rocketry Association, Inc., the National Association of Rocketry, or their successor organizations.

5.4.1 Certification of a user shall require both of the following:

(1) Proof that the user is at least 18 years old (2) Proof that the user possesses a level of knowledge and competence in handling, storing, and using a high power solid-propellant rocket motor and high power rockets that is acceptable to the certifying organization ==

the sole requirements for certification are age and demonstrated competency. However, the definition of a certified user is one whose certification has been licensed or certified by "a recognized organization that is acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction", which includes, but is not limited to "Tripoli Rocketry Association, Inc., the National Association of Rocketry", etc.

the practical issue here is for an alternative organization to establish itelf as "acceptable" to the AHJ, given that the AHJ is typically the State Fire Marshall's' office [SFM], or other state regulatory agency which has delegated responsibility for fire safety (which is what the IFC, and by reference, NFPA codes address).

by virtue of their relationship to the NFPA, TRA and NAR enjoy that recognition in the 16 state-wide plus 16 limited-adoption states. Any alternative organization would either have to be recognized by the NFPA, or would have to be recognized by each of the individual states.

IMO it is unlikely that TRA and NAR, as NFPA committee members, would endorse ARSA or any alternative organization to the committee for it's recognition as a certifying authority. I say this because TRA/NAR perceives any organization which does not subscribe to their particular standards of rocketry practice as a liability to them should any incidents occur; i.e.; that the conduct of an alternatively certified user reflects on rocketry in general and by implication, their own activities; with the anticipated consequence of heightened regulation and increased insurance premiums

whether a certification from TRA/NAR with the satisfaction of ongoing membership dues to maintain that certification, vs. the certification from ARSA or IEAS would be qualitatively different is purely speculative. I am merely offering my observations regarding their positions in the matter.

for ARSA or IEAS or any other organization not currently recognized by the NFPA to achieve recognition by the 16 state-wide plus 16 limited-adoption states would certainly be a time consuming and even possibly a costly endeavor; and not one which is a practical reality in the near term.

in any case, ARSA's position is that neither user nor motor certification is a requirement for the safe, legal and rewarding practice of amateur rocketry.

from

"The Amateur Rocketry Society of America's (ARSA) goal is to enable US citizens to enjoy all forms of amateur rocketry. Our local societies permit amateur rockets to fly along side high power and model rockets at the same site and at the same time. There is no certification process or requirement for rocket motors or flyers."

ARSA is an enabler. It's function is to work towards the elimination of barriers to the practice of amateur rocketry, and to encourage safe and constructive involvement in it.

historically the NFPA codes were formulated to mollify the regulatory agencies and to assure insurers that the risks of rocketry can be managed within acceptable limits.

but rather than working to address their fears by educating them in the merit and methodology of experimentation, they reinforced those fears by minimalizing both available materials and extent of practice. What NAR and later TRA did was in effect to say, 'yes, rocketry is indeed too dangerous entrust to laymen, so we will commercialize motor manufacture to reduce the variables and limit the risks to within designated facilities, and formalize motor use to they may only be used under tightly controlled conditions'. And thus was born the commercial motor industry and the NAR (and later TRA) dominance over the practice of rocketry.

now we are struggling against regulatory agencies and insurance underwriters whose education has been neglected, and whose hystrionics have been rewarded with in excess of fifty pages of finely crafted codes. Codes which constitute shackles that these organizations themselves have helped create, while they voluntarily self-impose still more restrictions beyond those already in the codes, while imagining what more restrictions they might offer in the next revisions all in a vain effort to secure a safe haven for the practice of rocketry. I say 'vain effort', because as far as I can see there is neither security nor safe haven for rocketry today, and I and others are challenging the mindset that brought us this reality.

in the short term, any actions that TRA/NAR can take to make rocketry available to more people are positive ones. Any actions that restrict access to rocketry materials and its practice are negative ones. I understand that they feel that they cannot significantly alter their own practices without losing access to insurance. But what they can do immediately is

- certify users on the basis of their demonstrated competency, allow those certifications to stand without expiration unless "cause" is established (e.g.; illegal acts are committed through the abuse of rocketry materials)

- advise all motor manufacturers and dealers that in their [non-legal] opinion all restrictions based on user or motor certification in all but those states who have adopted NFPA 1125,7 are unwarranted as they have no basis in regulation

- advise all motor manufacturers and dealers that in their [non-legal] opinion all restrictions based on BATFE positions in contradiction to the positions taken by the joint TRA/NAR lawsuit are unwarranted as they have no basis in regulation

this fulfills the current requirements of NFPA 1127 WRT user certification; i.e.; proof of competency enables access to motors and their use, while empowering manufacturers and dealers to make their own decisions regarding motor sales based on their interpretation of the law and their own tolerance for risk of BATFE harassment

in the longer term, TRA/NAR should renounce their historical role as regulatory advocacies or surrogates and embrace a new role as a rocketry advocacy. As enablers, they would work toward educating both regulators and insurers in the merit and methodology of experimentation

- all stipulations in any NFPA codes not directly related to fire safety should be removed, as they exist outside the scope of authority granted by the states in their adoption as fire codes

- renounce any role as a regulatory enforcer

- redefine motor certification as a voluntary process whose objectives are limited to the assessments of reliability, safety and performance

- remove all restrictions on the use of any motors whose sole constituents are any legal materials (e.g.; not true explosives except as exempted under law), regardless of the source of manufacture

I believe that it is possible to reverse the trend of oppresive regulation. I also believe that doing so will require taking a stand for that which is objective and rational, and a stand against that which is based on ignorance and fear. The future of rocketry is in our hands, what organizations will be in the vanguard is still an open question.