Discovery Rocketry Challenge no aired in Canada

Naw, at that point you'd be copying a copy of a copy of copyrighted material. I'd gladly buy a DVD of this series from Discovery channel if its available. Otherwise I'm gonna send Chris a blank DVD and have him "tape" it for me Thursday since I don't have cable or a dish...

Bob Kaplow

"Chris Taylor Jr" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@newshost01.voicenet.com:

Uhm, there's this small matter of copyright?

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

Chris,

You are insane.

You are proposing to reproduce and sell copyrighted materials, an act that is strictly and clearly prohibited under any interpretation of international copyright law.

I strongly encourage you to cease these activities, lest you be remanded to a cell and given a "special" roommate.

James

_________________________

James Duffy snipped-for-privacy@mac.com

Reply to
James Duffy

I am going to use my "aircheck" copies to promote discovery channel viewing and to promote future show ideas of direct commercial value to Discovery channel.

I have not asked for commercials to be removed. I will use whatever I get.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I am betting that Chris gets a C&D letter from Discovery Comm. within 72 hours.

Chris, this is copyrighted material you're talking about.

It doesn't matter if you sell "at cost", or "with commercials". It's illegal. Period.

Quit it before you wind up having to pay a big cash penalty. You need the money for motors.

"Le> "Chris Taylor Jr" wrote in

Reply to
BB

"airchecks" while technically a copyright violation are allowed in practice especially since Chris is promoting the channel, the producer, and the future prospects for advertisers.

Buy a Subaru already!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Does this "special" roommate cross-dress?

Reply to
The Pink and Yellow Rocket

yeah quit it before you end up in club fed as somebodies butt boy...... shockie B)

money for motors.

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

nope

Reply to
tater schuld

Chris let me know when you need my $30 for DVD "supplies"

Reply to
tater schuld

That is why I am restricting this to the rocketry community and not doing it public and why I am selling it at cost. I am not selling copyrighted material. I am selling a dvd-r with case and label and it will just have the programs on it so I am "giving" away the copyright material.

I have already sent a mail message to discovery asking for their blessing to do this (no reply yet)

I do not want to sell to the public since discovery MAY sell it on their site.

I want rocketry folks to have it for 2 reasons. 1 Historical significance and 2 to get a copy into the hands of all the CLUBS so they can show it at meetings or movie night or at any hobby shows where they might have a booth etc..

to promote rocketry.

I hope it promotes discover channel too since the more feedback they get the more likely they are to do more rocket shows.

they will be less

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

I know but I use DVD Movie factory and it burns it as well. I may try making the Video TS folders (it allows that) importing that into nero and then I can add stuff.

I think I might just leave it as it is.

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

Did not arrive yet. I have submitted a trouble report to my host to find out whats going on. I get my own mail but I just sent myself mail in ebay and did not get it.

Chris Taylor Jr

Chris is a little wacky, but he has value!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Yes I know. this is right on the edge of my moral grey line. but I think its important and I do not think discover would mind the "spirit" of what I am doing.

this is also why I am only selling it "HERE" to rocketeers who will put them to good use. no selling anywhere else for any reason. that would definately cross my moral grey line.

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

Translated:

"I'm stealing, but I'm justified because (1) I'm not making any money from it, (2) I'm just doing it for a few hundred of my closest friends, and (3) it's a big, bad, mean corporation who really isn't going to be losing all THAT much money thanks to me."

It's been argued before, Chris. It's bullshit sophistry, pure and simple, and you will get your ass laughed out of court with a judgement around your neck.

Let us know how they serve you, and I hope your legal fees aren't too onerous.

"Chris Taylor Jr" wrote:

Reply to
BB

Hey BB. I have a question for YOU.

I see you are willing to call Chris on this.

Why are you NOT willing to call NAR or TRA or Kelly or Embry or Bundick on their bullshit supreme?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

You might be surprised.

If a company knowingly fails to defend a copyright, they've all but given it up.

If you're so convinced they wouldn't mind, why don't you write them a letter and ask their permission?

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

He said he did FTR.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

And stripping out the ads for the companies that paid to air the show in the first place doesn't cross the line?

I fear you'll soon be getting a Cease & Desist letter from the landsharks at the Discovery Channel.

Copyright violation is NOT the way to show your support of the show.

Reply to
Anonymous