Discovery Rocketry Challenge no aired in Canada

Chris, so if you burn a copy of your favorite CD, and offer to send it to anyone on a newsgroup for media costs, are you not breaking the "copyright" law?

It's not a gray area. It is illegal!

Reply to
AZ Woody

Very cool. Good job Chris!

-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1

Reply to
J.A. Michel

Are we talking digital or analog support?

Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet

"X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

Reply to
Mario Perdue

Actualy, you are giving it away HERE to those of us who A) could not get it ourselves or B) did not get it on the vcr.......

I hope Discovery understands and allows you to do so, or at least release the same content for sale themselves

if they charge more than you, i will not be able to get as many copies, and will not be able to spread the word out as widely at they would like

Reply to
tater schuld

Probably applies here as well

Section 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include - (1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes; (2) the nature of the copyrighted work; (3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and (4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work. The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

ANY AND ALL USE OF MATERIALS FROM TRIPOLI SOURCES AND LISTSERVS IS USED IN INTENDED AND COMPLETE COMPLIANCE WITH 18 USC 107.

ONLY A VERY SMALL PORTION OF THE LISTSERVE LOG IS USED AND THE FAQ IS AN ESSENTIAL ELEMENT TO SET CONTEXT AND ACTUALLY PROMOTES THE SOURCE FOR COMMERCIAL OR OTHER GAIN OF THE AUTHOR OR THE AUTHOR'S REDISTRIBUTOR (LISTSERVE).

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I wouldn't have crossed that line.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

IIRC Discovery channel releases on dvd some of their shows and the RC just might be one of them.

Chris what your doing is a very noble and should be praised but this is one thing you need to watch out for.

btw, 640*480 compressed to SVCD = good?

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Chris Taylor Jr wrote:

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

Incorrect Arguments.

Let me correct them for you.

I am doing something illegal. I can morally live with it withing guidelines I have chosen to set for myself. I never said those guidelines make it legal or right just that I can live with them.

Second Discovery is not hurt one bit by this. in fact it will probably go a long way to helping them.

They are not big bad and mean. quite the contrary I have deep respect for them and want them to do more.

if they sell it on dvd (so far it looks like they will not according to the reply I got) I will stop immediately. If they ask me to stop I will stop immediately. I HAVE and am awaiting a reply on permission to do this.

SO their you have it.

Most likely the ONLY way they will even find out is if someone yaps. I can bet you probably will be one of them to yap. you have to make yourslef feel "rigtious"

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

I have already done so. withing 5 minutes of coming up with the idea.

I sent them a message on their feedback form explaining exactly what I wanted to do and exactly what that entailed (IE how I planed to do it and to what extent)

I got > > Yes I know. this is right on the edge of my moral grey line. but I think its

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

Yes and no. I did not say it was grey legal. I said it was the grey line of what I am willing to morally live with. I was very specific about that.

their is no question that letter of the law its illegal.

your right its not a greay area. but it is on the grey line of what I am willing to morally live with which is precisely what I said.

Their are also levels of illegality. Giving away is illegal. yes. Giving away for profit is WORSE and will be looked upon far less kindly and acted upon more harshly.

their is a nearly 100% chance that they will simply ask me to stop at which point I will without questions. but their is also not a bad chance that they will say yes with conditions.

they do NOT lose copyright by not defending it. that is for trademarks.

Chris Taylor

"copyright"

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

Good Point Now lets pick this apart.

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

Non Commercial and benificial to hobbyists and discovery channel.

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

Hobbyists ie harmless

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

the whole thing here but then again if permission is given that will likely be a requirement. IE intact without modifications so that the commercials and credits go with it.

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Zero. on the contrary probably a very positive effect for discovery. (its not the same thing as ripping off say monster garage or american chopper which WOULD have negative impact on discovery financialy

THis is why although small I feel I actually do have a half way decent shot of getting their blessing.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

negative. the programs are on the disc TWICE with and without commercials (its over 5 hours long)

I intentionally left the commercials intact.

if I get a C&D I will comply simple as that. but I am confident and hope I will get their blessing instead.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

Absolutely their would be zero reason for me to do this if they also released it.

their hour long shows are expensive but if they did one dvd with all 3 it would probably be worth it and MUCH higher in quality.

but they usually do NOT do "one off" shows like this for sale on dvd.

too specialized to make any kind of profit.

Hell I would rather have them sell me a copy than what I have. would look much nicer.

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

THEN, writes:

Chris, you're not just a liar, but not a particularly bright one, either.

QED.

p.s. In the future, if you're going to do something illegal, it's not *REAL* smart to announce it in a public forum. Just a clue for you, the clueless.

Reply to
BB

Paraphrase:

"So, it's OK for me to break laws as long as I can live with it".

I don't think you'll find me preaching that logic to my kids anytime soon, Chris.

At least you've asked for permission, so I'll credit you that. I'd

*seriously* wait for a proper legal reply (on paper) before proceeding though.

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

Where's Judge Judy when you need her?

Reply to
Alex Mericas

In this case broadcast over the air to known VCR users.

I bet it would ENCOURAGE sales of any commercial release of the same.

I would not count on being replied to. They would be making legal mistake to do so. They are better off ignoring you.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I suggest we have this debate with the DVD's in hand - soon.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Darwin award candidate BB!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

"Chris Taylor Jr" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@newshost01.voicenet.com:

It doesn't make any difference what you charge for it. You could give it away and lose money on it and you are still violating their copyright.

If they say no, you realize you have to stop?

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens