Discovery Rocketry Challenge no aired in Canada

"Chris Taylor Jr" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@newshost02.voicenet.com:

Uhm, Chris, have you ever met a lawyer?

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

Mario Perdue wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It's OK, he did it on a Mac...

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

IIRC the Scholastic series on Discovery gives teachers permission to record and keep one copy of the program for using in school, with the understanding it is only permitted until the end of (either) the month or the school year then must be erased. So they are not big on having freebies available.

I don't know that they sell copies of their series on the first go-round with it, I could be wrong, but I don't recall seeing 'buy a copy of this Discovery program etc' on any initial run. It becomes a commercial, presumably, after they figure out whether the offering will be profitable or not. Hopefully it doesn't displace the

commercial in the coming weeks.

The copyright police are something to avoid at all cost.......ALL cost. :-)

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

If not, ask him again in 48 hours....

Reply to
BB

Maybe a crosspost might be in order?

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Now you have to go and make me laugh...

How about a keyboard alert next time?

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Made me think about my telling Chris where to get used Mac Cube computers (the ones he actually likes), and they used to be about $400 and they have gone UP to $1000. For USED computers. A fad seems to have formed.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Hey Chris my address is on this message. Send mine in the next hour.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

If he's transferring it from a VCR, he's at far les risk. There's all sorts of things that are permitted with analog material that aren't acceptable for digital.

The DMCA is screwed up to an unbelievable level. If Chris is seeking to provoke a challenge in the courts, I'd have to give him some credit.

Not much, but some.

Hey, at least he's not telling everyone about .

"Ultimate Evil doesn't sue." - Millennium

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

I was of the opinion the Cube should have had a button on it, when you wanted to change a CD or DVD the cube would move vertically, you add the disk, then it would assume it's regular position.......sort of like changing the Dilithium crystals.......that would have at least had a little wow factor, as such it was waaaaaaaay too small.

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

He would have turned a PROFIT on a MAC. THAT would have killed the analog vs digital debate right in its tracks :)

That would be cool. Impractical, but cool.

Here is a quote from a peecee windblows switcher from a mac site that is consistent with my own experience.

"I still have a G4 733 that is serving me fine. This was my first Mac purchase, and with this thing, I have to say how impressed I am that this machine is still totally usable after **almost** three years of ownership. This is not a claim that I have been able to make with PCs I have owned in the past."

Just OT Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

or "the law was not meant for this case, and I agree with the spirit of the law, but not the letter of the law."

hmmmm so they should follow the law not matter how ridiculous it is? what speed do you drive? do you fornicate on sunday? you always use the crosswalks? you always turn in lost money?

he has made an earnest attempt to gain permission. if the Discovery channel does not feel a need to reply, it COULD be assumed that they find no value in upholding the copyright.

For some reason I think i recall a copyright law regarding something along this. had to do with the public interest. is one of the reasons why one can take pictures of billboards (or anything) with copyrighted logos on them. I'll have to dig a bit.

Reply to
tater schuld

money for motors.

Depends on whether or not some rat lawyers him out. Or some lawyer rats him out.

Bob Kaplow

oh so now you are trying to unload some crap DVD's on us?

I suppose a defective DVD-R disc might be worth $3

Reply to
tater schuld

They will not approve!

Bob Kaplow

Let's start a pool.

Date & Time that Chris gets the letter from Discovery Channel's lawyers, telling him nicely that they appreciate his love of their program, and to kindly cease & desist from making any copies or they'll bitch-slap his bank account so hard he'll be eating generic oatmeal for dinner until he's 50.

I choose tomorrow, 11/13/03, 1:30 p.m.

Reply to
BB

ok, ok, so I inhaled

but I didn't exhale ... at least not until my lungs were bursting

- iz

tater schuld wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Helluva way to lose weight :)

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

You really need to stop putting words in my mouth.

I say what I mean and mean what I say.

No hidden meaning. you are not to "infer" anything. if you find the need to infer anything either you have an alternative agenda OR I did not express it clearly enough. so NEVER interprit my words please. if they are unclear ask for clarification.

I said it ok by ME. I did not say its right or legal or OK legally. I just said it ok with me I can live with it.

Just like people daily can "live with" going 55 in a 50 even though its WRONG and its ILLEGAL.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

actually thats trademark. copyright requires no defending to remain valid.

as for pictures. the picture is an original work and the author of the picture owns the copyright.

they do not own the copyright of what IN the picture. just of the picture.

in this case "intent" becomes an issue in legal procedings.

example. if you take a picture of a painting and then reprint and sell it your infringing.

if you take a picture of your wife standing next to the painting reprint and sell that you are not infringing. intent is the issue at that stage.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr