Discovery Rocketry Challenge no aired in Canada

Now I'm interested. You actualy burn DVDs using a Pentium 166Mhz CPU? I have a 450Mhz eleron (actualy dual 300a @450) but most of the burners say that they require faster CPUs. BTW, I have SCSI, but if I buy a DVD burner it will alomst surely be an IDE model.

I'm not a Mac advocate.

Computer hardware becomes obsolete when, for example, Internet access services are upgraded or discontinued, and the available sevice now requires better hardware, even if only to enable it to run the software required to continue internet access.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

It did not like it too much (did it in fits and starts) but if you have buffer underun protected drives (most all of them) it WILL work.

took about 90 minutes to burn :-)

your 450 should have absolutely NO PROBLEM burning a DVD. my original laptop (400mhz dell) did not even blink doing it.

now actually mastering DVD content. you can do it (I did it) it just will not be all that fast.

as for obsolescence. the technology is not obsolete (as in obsolete in the way peopel here are using the word)

even in the case of say a mail station machine the technology is not obsolete. e-mail still works the same and so does the modem. you can dial in TODAY with a 9600 baud modem. even a 2400 baud modem. I know I DO (I still have my sony magic link which comes with this modem and I can still connect with it and read my mail)

but remember its our desires that becomes obsolete. when the infrastructure changes so that say a modem does not work the modem did not go obsolete. the infrastructure was taken away and this MADE the modem obsolete. sure its semantics but its important in this case.

the idea that you can have 2 different modems that connect to the same kind of line and use the same basic protocols and have the same basic performance and have ONE of them become obsolete in a year and the other NOT become obsolete is just silly.

if one is still good then the other MUST still be good as since we already stated they were basically the same.

so a 1995 PC that can go toe and toe with a 1995 mac is our next example.

if the 1995 mac is still good today they so MUST the pc.

you say well that pc can not run windows xp. well duh it was not designed for it now your changing the rules. that mac can not run OSX.

but the mac the way it came will do what it did then the same today. so will the PC.

yet that is what the others here are trying to claim. that somehow magically in their reality distortion field the 5 year old PC is somehow obsolete yet the 5 year old mac is not. total hogwash.

mac zealotry.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

Chris...Please ignore all of the paranoid, worrisome, sheep-like critics of your plan and GO AHEAD AND MAKE THE DVDs! I just got off the phone w/ The Discovery Channel's customer service person (a very nice older woman) who told me that they ARE NOT going to sell DVD or VHS copies of the "Rocketry Challenge" programs. She did say that all

3 episodes will air for the last time this coming Saturday (November 22nd) starting at 7PM Eastern time.

BTW, I did not mention who I was, who you are, or anything else relating to the sale of LEGALLY (IMHO) copied DVDs. I called under the guise of wanting to purchase a VHS copy directly from The Discovery Channel, which I would have done if they bothered to sell them. The customer service rep explained to me that most of the programs they show are produced by independent production companies who usually do not permit merchandising of their productions. (No logical explanation for that, huh?).

Best wishes, and I sure would like to buy a couple of copies when they're ready.

Paul

Reply to
P.K. Moore

What the hell are you talking about? Are you having a stroke?

Yes Chris, but your morals SUCK! IMHO of course. So you're wrong. Whether or not they (your morals) "allow" for what you're doing is irrelevant. It messes with the rest of us, dudemeister, and we're getting pretty pissed...

Yeah, you too. And your mother wears Army boots.

"If you were my dog, I'd shave it's butt..."

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

You so rarely post with real content, now this!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

actually that makes perfect sense. they want to reserve tha ability to make more "profit" from it.

once they give discover that right they get no more royalties etc.. if it for whatever reasons proves to be "hot"

this way if it becomes a hot topic they have negotiating power with discover (or whoever)

Chris Taylor

The customer service rep explained to me that most of the

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

If that's the case then inquiries should be made to First TV, not The Discovery Channel. Has anyone asked them about purchasing copies, selling copies, or making your own copies and giving them away?

Jim Parker

Reply to
Jim Parker

Careful. That could get you busted...for possession of 200 pounds of crack :)

Doug Just going for yuks, Chris...

Reply to
Doug Sams