NARCON first report

Just got back from NARCON. WOOSH did another great job hosting the event. The key note speakers, Ky Michaelson, Jay Apt, and Vern & Gleda Estes were worth the trip alone. Many interesting technical sessions to attend, plus education sessions, make-it take-its for the kids, and a frozen HPR launch at Bong. Vendors from across the country. And best of all, a chance to get together with old friends, and a chance to meet new friends.

The NAR Board of Trustees decided to hold their winter meeting at NARCON, so all 9 of them were there. Mark Bundick's town hall meeting was informative as usual. You just had to be there to really understand the passion he has for the hobby, and the passion he has for our fight against the BATFE. He will not rest until these folks are out of our hobby.

The only problem is that there were too many things going on at the same time that I wanted to attend.

If you didn't make it this year, I strongly encourage you to go next year, or whenever one is in your part of the country. Rumor has it that NARCON will return to the same site again next year. Where ever it is, Bunny commited that the BoT meeting will be at the NARCON.

Bob Kaplow

I returned home from NARCON last night at about 11PM following a 4+ hour flight from Chicago to Portland. It was a really enjoyable gathering of rocket folks who were eager to share the interesting projects they were working on and techniques they had developed over the years. The historical talks were really interesting as well. I really enjoyed the talk on the early years of HPR in the Wisconsin area and the history behings the Bong launch site.

Perhaps the most surprising aspect of NARCON was the attendance. 200 people signed up and attended this year's event and everyone seemed to have a great time. It looks like WOOSH is interested in hosting the event next year, so I'm already planning on attending NARCON next yeat.

John Lyngdal

Reply to
Johnly

Since that is a possibility, I'll post this addendum to the NARCON directions:

Wisconsin seems to have at least two names for every road: one name in big letters on a big sign, and the others in small letters on a small street sign. The directions on the NARCON web site use the small, hard-to-see, hard-to-find street name.

Here is the mapping:

Washington is Highway 20 South Green Bay Road is Highway 31 7th Street South is Highway A East (HWY A west at HWY 31 is a block north) Wood is Highway G

Glen

Reply to
Glen Overby

loved the LOC and Public Missiles kits that were being sold off for $20 a piece.

Didn't see em? musta been because MARS Club cleaned em out :)

Reply to
tater schuld

Respectable.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I didn't get to this one, as it was 4pm Friday before I arrived. [Didn't have the "luxury" of being unemployed like last year, so I didn't arive until the Ky Keynote talk.] When did he say they started flying HPR at Bong? Did the Bong/Rocket history go back to our model rocket contests in the 70s and 80s. I know I set a D ELD record back there in June 1984, 760 seconds.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Even Jay Apt, who invented the model rocket convention back in 1966 was impressed with NARCON this year. Of course he admitted he'd not been to one for about 2 decades...

Bob Kaplow

Yes, that was a pain, and they left the map and restaurant list out of the NARCON book. Things were far enough away it was just about impossible to get out to a decent dinner wiht friends either night in the 90 minute window.

Bob Kaplow

ROFL

Wasn't that the truth !

Reply to
AlMax

Who was doing that , Ken from Al's ?

Reply to
AlMax

I believe so. I saw it, saw the savings, and blurted out "how much for all?"

of course he wouldn't go any lower ($50+kits for $20!) and I could *almost* buy them all, but had other items in mind.....

so I bought 2, zak bought 3, lisa bought 2, and bought 2.

box was empty then :)

Reply to
tater schuld

More like a name and number or name and letter.

Bob Kaplow

Thanks, Glen. I'll add this info to the directions on the NARCON 2006 website.

Reply to
Scott D. Hansen