No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

An old TRA member showed up at last night's NIRA meeting. He told me an interesting story. Seems he recently decided to get back into HPR, so he
went to a local TRA launch, re-joined, and re-certified. Except afterwards his membership was rejected by TRA HQ in Orem. It never got to the BOD, one phone call to Bruce at HQ and his membership was denied. Check and membership form were returned to him by the local prefect.
NO, it wasn't Jerry!
Some things never change :-(
BTW, I suggested that he keep going to TRA launches, signing up at the launch, and having his membership refused. He gets to fly each weekend, and saves him the cost of membership!
Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined. -- Patrick Henry, speech of June 5 1788

and
Bob, I think you're channeling an old Jewish man. ; )
Oy Vey!
Randy http://vernarockets.com /
and what is wrong with channeling an old Jewish man? At one time in the not so distant past they were an endangered resource. Bob channel Albert all you want!

nitram578 wrote:

Yeah, but what if it isn't Albert. What if it was William Shatner, ... oh wait, He's not dead yet.

Could be Deforest Kelly: I'm dead Jim! ; )
Randy http://vernarockets.com /
snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

That would be ok. Was Deforest Kelly jewish??

No, I think he was Southern Baptist. IIRC was born in Atlanta. Even managed to work the Mint Julep thing into one of the original episodes.
Randy http://vernarockets.com /

That's a pretty safe bet. He was born in Atlanta and his father was a Baptist minister.
Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet
http://roci.indyrockets.org "X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."
No, but four actors playing major roles in Hogan's Heroes were.

Mike Dennett wrote:

I did know that Werner Klemperer (Co. Klink) was a Holocaust survivor, but who were the others?

I didn't know Klemperer was. I do know Robert Clary (Lebeau) was. I was never sure why they had a Frenchman in an Allied POW camp, though. As I understand it, only US and British personnel would have been in a LuftStalag. That said, Clary is a hero to me for having survived and overcome such an ordeal.
Doug

The last time I saw Clary I was flipping channels and he was on some soap opera.
Randy http://vernarockets.com /
He was on "Days of Our Lives" for many years. Most recently he was on "The Bold and the Beautiful" but that was over 10 years ago. He's about 80 now.

Actually, while he was Jewish, he was not a Holocaust survivor, while Clary, of course, was.
Here's a link: http://obits.com/klempererwj.html
which includes:
"In 1965 Klemperer was approached through his agent with for a role in a new television series set in a World War II prisoner of war camp. Having played a number of "German Roles" through his career, Klemperer was not initially surprised to be offered such a part, until it was explained that the series was written as a situation comedy. Even in the days before political correctness was keenly observed, there were a number of concerns regarding the propriety of making light of the Holocaust. Klemperer, however, was not the only Jewish actor to accept a place in the cast of that series, "Hogan's Heroes". John Banner, who portrayed the bumbling Nazi Sgt. Schultz was a Viennese born Jew, and Robert Clary, who portrayed "Frenchie" (Louie) LeBeau had survived internment at Auschwitz. Klemperer, Clary and Banner were unified in their belief that as long as the series dealt with POW camps, and not the holocaust death camps, nor in any way diminish the horrors of the genocide of the war, it was as fair for funniness as other war-time comedies, like "Operation Petticoat" or "McHale's Navy"."
--
...The Bit Eimer NAR 84054 L1
"My goal in life is to be the kind of person my cat thinks he is"

Yeah but I don't think Bob is large enough to pull off the Shultz thing. Besides, Bob knows quite a bit. ; )
Randy http://vernarockets.com /

But I frequently us his famous line...
"To enslave men, successfully and safely, it is necessary to have their minds occupied with thoughts and aspirations short of the liberty of which they are deprived. A certain degree of attainable good must be kept before them." Frederick Douglas, "My Bondage and My Freedom," 1855
Are you positive of that? Are you sure the entity we think is him is really him? MMMMM too much Star Trek.....me thinks so.

How about some details. Send them offline if you want. That is absolute bs & shouldn't happen (except to maybe a few people that we know.)
On 7 May 2005 09:29:34 -0500, kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

I am glad you have such unwaivering ethics on this point. You could run for "kisass of Orem".

Why yes, you are one of the few.
You just jumping on a general accusation that does not include any specifics,shows you are biased and either unwilling or unable to make an intelligent analysis and subsquently an intelligent descision.
I had so much hope for you since you started taking that new medicine. Maybe you just missed a day?