New AT motor technology

One of the interesting tidbits at NARCON was a chance to NFPA codes for
"loadable" motors. As I understand it, AT is about to some out with
something between single use and reloadable motors. It will be something
alike pack with a casing and 3 loads. After 3 flights, you throw it all
away.
I'm guessing, but this might be in the Econojet range.
Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
>>> To reply, remove the TRABoD!
Reply to
Bob Kaplow
Correct.
29mm 60/80/100 ns
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
something
Yeah, Gary posted some info about this on TRF. The motors would use the new molded cases, with a forward closure that screws in. It's a great concept. You would get some of the cost benefits of reloadable technology without have to buy expensive hardware, plus if you lose the motor it's no big deal.
raydunakin
Plus, it's one more excuse to get some new rocket stuff...
David Erbas-White
Reply to
David Erbas-White
Sounds like taking the best part of Pro38 (easy assembly) but losing the (expensive) re-usuable case.
Nice idea by the sounds of things.
Reply to
Niall Oswald
I am guessing standard parts will be used. It will survive more firings than will be rated. If you read the TRF thread on this that was one of his concerns. You can also read my reply as you wish.
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
This was announced/discussed at length on TRF about a month ago. Including posting links to prototype instruction sheets. The announcement included a great account/summary of the N.F.P.A. issues and how after they reviewed the concept there are almost none.
He will sell thousands of these. Probably tens of thousands.
-Fred Shecter NAR 20117
One of the interesting tidbits at NARCON was a chance to NFPA codes for
something
Reply to
shreadvector
What that means to me is that some people who lose a case on its first or second flight will probably burn the remaining reloads in another identical case -- which could be a good thing in moderation but a very bad thing if taken to extremes. I wouldn't want to see these things reaching their failure point. Maybe a place on the label where an RSO could mark off how many times the case has been used?
If I get back to flying again (it's a time and money issue for me right now), a motor like this would suit my style very well. Would look pretty good in a Bandit or AR-2B, I'm guessing. ;-)
Reply to
Pelysma
I agreee. Gary talked about publishing a "max firings per case" rating for each propellant, which means self-moderation can be on an informed basis.
No worse than any CATO.
That was specifically mentioned as a USER employed feature.
You most certainly seem like a nannystate and big brother advocate in this post.
This is a truly GREAT product.
Jerry
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
Who says there is a formal RSO at all launches?
I would hope that if they are caliming 3 reuses, that they ahve been tested to 6 reuses. As long as you can't buy grains without a case, it shouldn't be a problem.
Bob Kaplow
I don't see how. Unless it saves the company on casing costs over single-use, that they pass on to the customer.
~ Duane Phillips.
Reply to
Duane Phillips
Cost scale:
RMS case
CTI case
AT LUR case
AT SU Case
Not quite as cheap as SU, but as reloadable as any of the above, up to a point.
Remember the "rated" number of firings for a RMS case is around 20.
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
My point was you are likely to have "spare grains" no matter what, from case loss alone. So might as well lean into the wind and allow it.
Jerry
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
It saves on the manual labor required to assemble the motors. Even at minimum wage, labor is an expensive component of everything we buy. The labor and hte savings get passed on to the customer.
Bob Kaplow
Really? Where is that rating?
David Erbas-White
Reply to
David Erbas-White
You might be able to use a G64 reload cut down to the size you wish and make the nozzle the size you want.
save the left over for a smaller load the next time around.
here are the parts for sale now:
also, you can carefully open up your SU molded engines and see what's its all about.
auger out the epoxy on the yellow end, then warm in an oven on warm, put in a vise and unscrew the yellow nut.
see the new SU motors are LU already, just that they epoxied the yellow parts threads on , bummer.
Reply to
AlMax
In article snipped-for-privacy@eisner.encompasserve.org, Bob Kaplow at kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD wrote on 3/14/05 1:23 PM:
Some labor savings but more importantly, the cost of the molded case is amortized over multiple firings.
Gary
Reply to
Gary C. Rosenfield
In article 5EmZd.98002$FM3.53470@fed1read02, David Erbas-White at snipped-for-privacy@arachneering.com wrote on 3/14/05 1:39 PM:
Nowhere. We have received reports of some RMS motors being used well over 100 times.
Gary
Reply to
Gary C. Rosenfield
In article KoKdncTYc snipped-for-privacy@buckeye-express.com, AlMax at snipped-for-privacy@unverified.com wrote on 3/14/05 1:53 PM:
Correct, the standard reloads do not fit.
The parts listed on the RCS website are not associated with the LUR product (except one of the o-rings, the delay insulator and the casting tube).
Gary
Reply to
Gary C. Rosenfield
Dammit.
Now you're going to get the obssessive-compulsive part of my to start marking my casings and writing down how often and what engine I'm using in them...
Seriously, thanks for the information. I didn't think this was a real 'rating', but was curious as to what proof Jerry was going to show...
David Erbas-White
Reply to
David Erbas-White