PIGS IN SPACE

Well, I don't think these 4 are considered "game" meats :)

I haven't had much game food, instead mostly the traditional store-bought stuff: beef, pork, chicken and turkey. I know lots of guys who hunt and eat such things as doves, ducks, geese, squirrels, rabbits and deer. My experience is that it all tastes gamey :)

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

Good question. I'm sure the taste of a predator such as cats and dog must be quite different from that of a grass-eater.

BTW, I've never understood the outcry in certain quarters against eating cats, dogs or horses. So what if some people keep these animals as pets? As long as Person A isn't eating Person B's pet, it's no different than eating any other animal.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Actuallly I've *heard* that possum is pretty good eating.

Me, myself and I.....prefer beef.

Filet Mignon anyone???

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

My grandma(who just turned 100) used to trap squirrels in her backyard for 2 purposes; to get rid of the pests that destroy her garden and for the squirrel meat.

One day many years ago I stop by grandma's to deliver some firewood and she was in the backyard just about to skin one of her 'pests'. I had my dog Shangti with me and let him go greet grandma while I went inside to grab a brew. When I got back outside I found shangti and grandma playing tug-o-war with the damn squirrel! Ole Shang had the head and grandma had the tail! She was so pissed off at shang calling him every name in the book(some in broken french). I called shang to let grandma have her dinner and when he let go grandma went flying!!! Swear to god she was airborne for a sec!

If I only had a vid cam.....

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

One a trip to France, we took went to a open air market. It was a huge place. Had all kinds of bird and small domestic type animals hanging up skinned and gutted, but complete with heads and legs etc, Rabbits, squirrels,goad kids etc usual poultry etc) One butcher had some huge slabs of meat in his meat case. Nice big slabs, bright red, sort of like a round steak only about 6" thick. Outside there was a stockade with goats, sheep cows and the likes and sure enough there was horses, and one was in the process of being gutted and skinned. Thats what those big 6" slabs of meat was from, they were either a rump opr neck cut judgeing by the size.

FWIH, Horse meat is pretty common eating in Canada, and becoming big business in Britan. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Don't see why they wouldn't all be good, depending on the preparation.

I've eaten (and enjoyed) squirrel, rabbit, goat, ostrich, duck, goose, lion, mud turtle, whitetail deer, elk, buffalo, rattlesnake, alligator, kangaroo, and probably several more animal-based protein sources that I can't remember right now. All were good, when prepared properly. None really required a super heavy sauce or seasoning to 'mask the flavor' of the meat. Some came pre-seasoned! (I shot some red squirrels in a pine forest in upstate NY, and they had a sort of rosemary/piney flavor when slow-cooked in the crock pot with some carrots and potatoes.)

One thing to remember in many places where, for instance, dog is consumed...there are animals that are raised as pets, and there are animals that are raised as food. Pets aren't normally consumed.

Reply to
Anonymous

So, what you're saying is that SARS is really just a human hairball...?

Doug Ya know, I just got back from Montreal, and I got this little chest cold...

Reply to
Doug Sams

I didn't know which breed.

Actually I wouldn't eat a dog or cat or aardvark for that matter. It was the Apache and Comanche that ate them. We Cherokee were too civilized. Like Kurt, we prefer chicken!

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Wylie Coyote would disagree.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Actually I believe it is the Chow. Bred to have a purple tongue as this was considered a delicousy.

Dennis

Reply to
D&JWatkins

...hence the origin of the term "chow"?

Hmmmm........

Reply to
BB

That's a common denominator with chinese dogs. The chow was a good workhorse dog. So was the sharpei but with a added nitch; the wrinkles were for dog fighting.

Your right, the chinese considered both the chow and sharpei as a delicousy.

Ted Novak TRA#5512

D&JWatk> Actually I believe it is the Chow. Bred to have a purple tongue as this

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

snip

Reply to
John Stein

And don't forget that dog had been a staple part of the diet, and then delicacy, on the Hawaiian Islands for many years.

John

Reply to
John Stein

You sure about this? I spent a good part of my youth on Maui and don't recall any stories of dog eating. Plenty of pig roasting, lobster and Mahi mahi but nothing with dogs.

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
moonglow

Lobster in Hawaii? native, or flown in from New England. I've had the Carribean lobster, and it's OK, but NOTHING like the native New England variety. And what places serve as lobster tail is really part of the crawfish family. Tasty, but no where as good as the real thing. IMHO the best sea food comes from COLD water.

Bob Kaplow

Relayed to me by a native of the islands. It could be a folk tale or just made up. I had no reason to doubt him.

John

Reply to
John Stein

According to Jimmy Carter, opossum would "rank" exceedingly low on the palatability scale. Saw an interview with him concerning his book about his childhood in which he talked about having to eat possum. Don't recall him mentioning any of the others.

"Rank" pun intended; apparently opossum is very rank, not too surprising given that it is a scavenger.

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Oliver

Somewhere I read that if you can catch the beastie live and fatten it up on a diet of corn for a while before you butcher it, the taste is considerably improved.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

The only thing I know about possum is that it was a staple on the Beverly Hillbillies show. And it is possible that what hillbillies call possum and what we call opossum are two different things. Besides, you shoot whatever you can, and call it whatever is in season.

Alan BTW, my spell checker accepts both possum and opossum.

Reply to
Alan Jones