Rocket Challenge comments

Oops, wrong. One is N2O, the other is NO2. Put the wrong one in your rocket and it won't go anywhere. Breath the wrong one and you're dead.

- Jack

Jack Hagerty ARA Press

Jack Hagerty

NFPA 1127 4.12.2 "The launching device shall incorporate a jet deflector if necessary to prevent the rocket motor exhaust from impinging directly on flammable materials."

Dirt doesn't burn very well so I guess they decided they didn't need any stinkin' deflectors.

The pads located in the grassy area did have deflectors. Not that it helped much. Numerous fires started around them anyway.

Reply to
David Schultz

The X-30 had actually flown (at that size) twice before. LDRS-21 on an Aerotech L850 and NTHP-21 (video here:

) on an AMW L1060. There was never any doubt that it would glide even before the first flight.

The X-30 team flew a number of smaller models (including the small balsa glider shown on the show) to test boost and gliding characteristics of the model.

Here is a picture of a small RC version at LDRS21:

J.A. Michel wrote: > The X-30 was AWESOME. I didn't think she would glide, but I was glad to see > that I was wrong! Congrats to the X-30 team! >

Reply to
David Schultz

So they violated the rule by having an insufficiently large blast deflector :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

What ?!

NO2 is Nitrogen Dioxide - a polutant commonly generated by things like kerosene heaters, that is not useful in cars and not good for people. N2O is Nitrous Oxide - used as an oxidizer in both cars and rockets, and also as an anesthetic.

--

--------------- SeeYa !

-------------- Hello....... Is this thing on ?

Reply to
Cyberia

The only thing that I was disappointed about throughout the entire set of shows was the rocket they showed for one of the commercials and at start of the show. It looked to be a beautifully finished PML 1/2 Patriot. Then they never showed anything else about it - what a bummer! Does anyone know who this beastie belonged to? Nice rocket!

-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1

Reply to
J.A. Michel

That could be one interpretation for the cause of the "many fires". Another could be ejected ignitors (with or without successful ignition), or motor failures (like ejected grain fragments). But I suspect you already knew that. :)

It was *very* dry out there. The ground crews did a good job of managing what I felt were inevitable fires under the existing conditions. The only way to prevent those that occurred at the pads would have been to remove all the dead surface vegetation. That was a pretty big area. Much easier to just put out the fires.

--

--------------- SeeYa !

-------------- Hello....... Is this thing on ?

Reply to
Cyberia

Nice clips, thanks Dave

Reply to
J.A. Michel

So they violated the clear area rule too?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I will make one.

How do we get permission to use it publicly ?

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

TRA may have violated a rule in their safety code/NFPA 1127 but that wasn't it. Perhaps something about clearing ALL brown grass, dry weeds, etc. to what are clearly unreasonable distances (75' radius for a K motor, more for sparky motors). I have no idea why this provision is in NFPA 1127. The only reasonable way to meet it is to burn the area ahead of time or launch from a dry lake. Not too many dry lakes in Kansas.

A since the idea is to prevent fires, this just seems wrong to me.

Reply to
David Schultz

Yeah... I hear the liberals on the Suprememe Court almost took the on the case to remove God from rocketry... then they saw Beneath The Planet Of The Apes and said OK. Rockets Good. ;)

Reply to
Rocketweb

Ummm, No. Nitrous Oxide = dentist joy juice = car/rocket gas - stinky stuff

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Who's rule?

You have evidence that Tripoli's "clear area rule" was violated? Or did you prefer NAR's rule, which does not specify any particular radius to clear? That way you can get in a whole message full of those Jerry "I told you so's" no matter how far away from the launcher a fire may start, I guess. :>

--

--------------- SeeYa !

-------------- Hello....... Is this thing on ?

Reply to
Cyberia

Was that the little girl's comment ("many fires"). She had the snitch that looked like it melted from the BP used to set off the motors, allowing the motors to fly away *spectacularly*.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

That's one good example of several. Those loose motors went quite a distance and lit small fires all over the place. Apparently Jerry thinks this means the "clear area rule" was violated, but of course he has an agenda. He wants to blame the California wildfires on Tripoli :)

--

--------------- SeeYa !

-------------- Hello....... Is this thing on ?

Reply to
Cyberia

Nope, "laughing gas" _is_ nitrous oxide (N2O). Used as an anesthetic/inebriant ("laughing gas"), and as an oxidizer in hybrid HPR motors and in racing cars.

(NO2, "nitric oxide" or "nitrogen dioxide", and the closely related N2O4 ("nitrogen tetroxide") are very poisonous, and have been used in large NASA rockets (such as the Titan II, and the Gemini/Apollo/Shuttle maneuvering thrusters) as oxidizers, but have not seen any use that I know of in amateur or sport rocketry.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

  1. NFPA-1127 that Tripoli itself has adopted independent of state adoption.
  2. Tripoli safety code.

If the report here is correct, yes.

I told you so. Well, I did! I told you so. Well, I did! I told you so. Well, I did! I told you so. Well, I did! I told you so. Well, I did! I told you so. Well, I did! I told you so. Well, I did! I told you so. Well, I did!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Yes.

No.

But the fact you misrepresent what I *do* say says more about you than me.

Care to postor email your real name so I know who to serve?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Several people keep talking about "high power doesn't follow safety rules" but I'm still not clear what rules ""everyone"" in high power violates. If you can tell from the video that the ground wasn't cleared (75'? wow) OK, I can see that. Does it happen at ""every"" launch? The only comment I heard about fires (on the show) was a clustered mod-rock that flew any which way. It could just as easily been flown at the local park.

On the show it appeared a rocket flew into the clouds, but they were clearly scattered and the camera may have given the perception that it was in the clouds when in fact it might not have been. Does this happen at ""every"" high power launch?

I've seen mod rocks fly when a jet was overhead (30 or 40k ft). Is that an FAA violation? Shouldn't ""all"" mod rocks follow the safety rules?

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith